• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Ever been a judge at a BBQ championship?

Started by Vaison, September 24, 2008, 11:07:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vaison

There is one at Dover Downs (10 mins from my house) in October.  While I do not have the KCBS judging certification, I was chosen to be a judge.  I think I will attempt to gain the certificate the next time they are in town.  Has anyone else judged before?  If so, what can you share about the experience? 

NePaSmoKer

Hey Vaison

Check this link and ask about certs. They know "Q".  The folks there do all the major BBQ events. Good luck to ya in judging
http://www.rbjb.com/rbjb/rbjbboard/

I go to Killens pond alot down that way.

nepas

Habanero Smoker

I plan on getting certified in April, like you I missed last time certification classes that were given to judge the Ribfest in my area. I'm told even if certified I may not be selected to judge.

Let me know how it goes.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

Judging by that pic of you and your lady you got it all going your way anyway... have fun!

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Vaison

:D Oldman, I will let her know that one.

Habanero - I suppose since I don't exactly live in a hotbed for BBQ, they are struggling for judges and will take me even though I am not certified.  Hershel Walker is a judge at mine, maybe I will get to sit next to him and rag on the Cowboys a little bit.

NePaSmoKer - Ya know, I live about 20 mins from Killens Pond and I have never been to it.  Thanks for the link.

KyNola

Vaison,
Gots to love the Monster Mile!  One of my favorite tracks to watch a race on TV.  Would love to go in person but Atlanta and Bristol are much closer for me.

Good luck and I know you will have fun!

KyNola

Tiny Tim

Quote from: KyNola on September 24, 2008, 07:54:08 PM
Vaison,
Gots to love the Monster Mile!  One of my favorite tracks to watch a race on TV.  Would love to go in person but Atlanta and Bristol are much closer for me.

Good luck and I know you will have fun!

KyNola

Dude, I live in Iowa, and the first 3 races I went to were in Atlanta.  Hop on one of them things with wings (no, not a can of red bull, lol), and go.  Would love to be in Kansas this weekend, but couldn't swing it...I'm only 4 hours from the track.

IKnowWood

Vaison

They been promoting that BBQ Comp along the Road in Maryland, Figured it was going to be a real big deal.  Sounds like a blast, I am a few miles southwest of you in Centreville.  This sounds like a great place.  I won't be around for the event, if not might have tried to get up there.  Have a fun time.

BTW, My son has been to Killens Pond and loved it.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Vaison

IKnowWood - I've been past your area quite a few times...hell, I know how to get to Wye Mills with my crabbing license in hand.  I may be there this Thursday. 

To the others - I am not a NASCAR fan so I cannot quite relate to your thoughts on the various race tracks.  But, since I am in the Security field, I have connections at Dover Downs and I have been around the track in a Security vehicle for a few laps.   ;)

manxman

Manxman