smoked peppers

Started by pensrock, September 27, 2008, 01:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pensrock

Smoking Duck

OK, one more dumb question:  Ever done a batch with seeds and a batch without seeds for spice with varying degrees of "hotness"?  Just wondering if it made a lot of difference when grinding for spice.

Thanks!

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

pensrock

Never tried it without seeds. If you want to remove heat be sure to remove all the membrane that holds the seeds, that is where the real heat is. I would also remove anything you do not want before smoking and drying.

Smoking Duck

Thanks Pens.  I may try to do a batch hot and a batch not so hot to see if there's any difference, if any.

SD

tsquared

hey pens--what temp did you use when you smoked your peppers?
T2

pensrock

No heat only the smoke generator. It probably got to 100 or so. Then into the dehydrator.

La Quinta

Pens...do you grind them after dehydration or...re-hydrate in hot H20 or a combo of both?

pensrock

Both, most of them get ground into powders but I save some of the jalapenos and wax peppers to use in other dishes.

La Quinta

I need to try this...thanks for the post Pens...been looking at it for quite some time...

Smoking Duck

I really gotta get me a dehydrator.  Can this be done effectively in an oven?

SD

pensrock

QuoteI need to try this...thanks for the post Pens...been looking at it for quite some time...

No problem LQ, happy to help out.  :)

QuoteCan this be done effectively in an oven?

It would depend on how low you can set you oven. I think 120 or so would be fine, may want to crack the oven door open slightly to allow moisture to escape. I used to do my venison jerky in the oven, set as low as it would go. It worked fine but not as fast as a dehydrator. I'd love to get one of the Cabelas 80L units like NEPAS has but its still out of my price range.

Smoking Duck

OK, Pens........I was at the grocery store getting some ground pork for "Ain't Your Mommas Meatloaf."  Lo and behold, while I was perusing the shelves (it's kinda like Walmart....you go in for one thing and leave with a buggy full of stuff) I noticed they were having a sale on hot peppers.  I picked up 2 lbs of japs, 1.5 lbs of habs, about 6 Hungarians and 6 poblanos.  I'm gonna smoke them in the OBS and then use the oven to dry them out.  The lowest my oven will set to is 170F.  I figure I can crack the oven door to let the moisture and heat escape enough to make it work.  Do you figure I'm in for about 10 hours or so in the oven?  How do you know when they're done enough to be dry enough to grind?  Also, I don't think I have enough of the hungs or pablanos to get enough to grind or do I?  Would it be unheard of to combine the hungs and pablanos and grind them together and make a "different" type of spice?  Sorry for all the questions......I'm as pumped up about this as Joan Rivers lips after a botox session  ;) ;D

By the way, I picked up all of these peppers for $5!

La Quinta

Great deal Giggles...good for you...we happen to have a dehydrator but am interested in Pens response.

Gizmo

Quote from: La Quinta on December 15, 2008, 08:32:05 PM
Great deal Giggles...good for you...we happen to have a dehydrator but am interested in Pens response.

Yah but setting things out on the patio for 5 minutes is not considered a dehydrator.   ;)
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

La Quinta

It doesn't? DAMN IT...  :D