• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoked Pork Tamales

Started by NePaSmoKer, October 10, 2008, 06:08:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Doing some homemade pork and chicken tamales today. Kinda a long process.
Here is the pork cut and ready for the smoker.

While the pork is smokin cook a couple leg quarters in a pot on the stove.

While the meat smokes and cooks, cut 2 dried ancho peppers cored and seeded, cut chilis in half and put in small pan with water. Cook to soften and retain the liquid. I will use them later in the recipe. (You can use any dried chili)

I will post pics while making tamales.

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Here is the smoked pork and chicken shredded.

I blended the ancho chili with the liquid, added some cumin, roasted garlic (1T) and black pepper.

I then poured the chili sauce mix over the meat. Then i mixed in 1/2 T salt, 1 T garlic salt, 2 T gebharts chili pwdr.
This is what the pork/chicken should look like. I cover and let everything marry together for 4 hrs in the fridge.

I save the liquid the pork was cooked in, I will need it later.

nepas

Buck36

Holy smokes that looks good. I have to try those on my days off here.

Is the pork a shoulder cut?

I only ask because it looks lean.

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Buck36 on October 10, 2008, 10:25:08 AM
Holy smokes that looks good. I have to try those on my days off here.

Is the pork a shoulder cut?

I only ask because it looks lean.

I cut the fat cap off the back side but left the fat that was in the meat. When i shredded it i cut the harder fat peices off.

nepas

HCT

nepas, nepas, nepas, nuff said. ;) :D :D :D
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

beefmann

mmmm mmmmm mmmm grabs a tortilla... looks around ,,,  opens the  fridge looks for the mix... finding it  opens and  places some on the  tortilla,,, adds   some onions,,, dices tomatoes... lettice.. sour cream and  quacamole...  wraps  it all toghter and  heats  it....

takes a  bite ,,,,  MMMMM MMMM MMM  better  then finger licking  good

NePaSmoKer

Now this is an all day thing  ;D

Here is a husk being spread with the masa.

The husk/masa being stuffed with the filling.

And now that i went through a whole bag of husks and 8 cups of masa and the filling. I steam them in my electric masterbuilt turkey fryer/steamer for 1.5 hrs. Tryed to stand em up straight but ugggghhhhh  :o

I will show ya the finished tamale when they are done.

nepas

beefmann

westexasmoker

Dang Nepas those look great, but your right they do take a long time to prepare.  We have the pedros tamales factory here, so everytime I think to make some..I go nah, I'm just gonna run up the street!  But nothing better than homemade!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

NePaSmoKer

Ok here is all done and ready to eat. Have refried beans too  ;D

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: westexasmoker on October 10, 2008, 05:07:34 PM
Dang Nepas those look great, but your right they do take a long time to prepare.  We have the pedros tamales factory here, so everytime I think to make some..I go nah, I'm just gonna run up the street!  But nothing better than homemade!

C

I can remember my grandma, mom and aunt making tamale's all day long when i was a yonker  ;D

nepas

NePaSmoKer

After stuffing myself with 4 tamales i need to freeze em.

nepas

Smokin Soon

Nepa, that looks great even with the long prep time. I'm with you until the Masa, I really don't know what that is........

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: Smokin Soon on October 10, 2008, 07:08:45 PM
Nepa, that looks great even with the long prep time. I'm with you until the Masa, I really don't know what that is........

Masa is corn flour for making tortillas, enchaladas and tamales. Used in mexican cooking.

nepas

Habanero Smoker

A lot of preparation, but the outcome looks great. It seems well worth the effort, with plenty left over for other meals.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)