Bacon

Started by waz, October 23, 2008, 06:56:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Soon

Duck, I don't know if it made any diff, but I waited until the belly firmed up a bit before adding a touch of maple syrup. Hope yours comes out great!

Smoking Duck

Thanks SS.  I've made about 10 batches now.  They all come out about the same, which is to say, awesome.  Not cause of me, but because homemade bacon absolutely rocks.  Unfortunately, Momma and the Yard Apes are now hooked.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Buck36

I haven't done bacon yet. Are most people using Hab's Maple cue on the recipe site or are they your own concoctions?

Smoking Duck

I haven't found a reason to do anything else.  I do plan on doing his triple smoked method the next time I get my hands on some belly.  Sometimes, I will tweak his a bit and go with a jalapeno powder as well.

SD

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Smoking Duck on November 20, 2008, 04:29:22 PM
  Unfortunately, Momma and the Yard Apes are now hooked.

SD,
Ive made about 5 batches and the same people keep eating mine. Momma and my 4 Yardapes have a tendency to polish all mine off before I even get any most times. Good excuse to make more.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smoking Duck

I hear ya 10.5.  Its almost as if you have to do some on the sly if you want to enjoy any yourself.  Course, for me, most of the fun is seeing other people enjoy the smoked foods.  But, would it kill them to let me have at least ONE taste?  ??? ;D

Father Tom

Bacon What a treat.

Have smoked pork belly for a few years but have now found the Pork Butt for bacon. Normally ground for Sausage but now i find that cured properly it makes slab look 2nd rate.   The last time i used Hi Country BuckBoard cure.  I folled directions and WOW.  If you get a chanace try it.

Tom

Smoking Duck

Sounds good, Father Tom.  I assume you don't use the bone in butt?

SD

Father Tom

Hi SD

No i did bone them.  Put on the cure and rubbed it in.  Tied it up with string and put in plastic zip lock bag.  Afturing curing time washed and soaked in H2O for hour, then washed and soaked again for hr.  Dried and then put in net bag to hold tight.  Then into smoker.   Great....

Tom

FLBentRider

Father Tom,
So what does it come out looking like ?
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smokin Soon

Just curious, when you de-boned did you split the sholder and rub cure and tie back together? I have tried to follow the Hi-Mtn rec of 3 and a half inches but it's hard to do with some cuts. I love Buckboard bacon!

Father Tom

Hi SS & BR

Yes all i did was remove the sholder flat bone without splitting the entire butt in half.  Trimmed the large fat layer.  Heigh was about 4".  I rubbed cure in flap area and folded it back together.  Tied like roast for the curing period as recommended by Hi Country.  after washing and soaking i like to use nets for butts, poultry and roasts.

Tom