• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New Member With Questions

Started by JJC, December 20, 2004, 01:30:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JJC

Hi All,

I'm a brand new member of the forum, having just received my BS today as an early Christmas gift from my very understanding wife of 25 years.  The last gift she gave me that I have been so excited about (except, of course, for our 3 terrific kids) was my first flyrod on our wedding day.

I've been smoking mainly fish for the past twenty years, using an electric bullet-type smoker.  I've had pretty good luck with turkey and chicken.  One of the best things about the BS seems to be its versatility, and I can't wait to expand my repertoire to ribs, cheese, pork, etc. I am truly looking forward to relegating my old smoker to back-up status, though it has helped me achieve "most favored neighbor" status for my smoked salmon and bluefish, smoked fish pate, and pistachio nuts.  I'd be happy to share the recipes if folks are interested.

Perusing the forum makes me feel like I've died and gone to heaven--the wealth of knowledge is incredible!  I can't wait to try Kummock salmon and the T-shirt method, among several others.

I plan to follow the break-in procedure to the letter--following protocol being an unavoidable part of being a scientist, I'm afraid--but I do have a couple of related questions:  Do the members recommend a temperature probe to monitor the air temp inside the smoker? Is there a meat thermometer that folks recommend?  I'd be especially interested in a "remote" version that would wirelessly alert me when  particular temp has been achieved.

Thanks to all for what I've learned already, and I'm looking forward to being an active part of the conversation.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Habanero Smoker

Welcome to the forum. The Maverick ET-73 it the preferred thermometer for monitoring the meat and chamber temperatures http://www.thegadgetsource.com/011502013733.html .

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

welcome to the fourm. when you do your break in, (seasoning the bradley), it will be hard to keep it at 150 dont worry if it goes higher you wont hurt any thing, also get you some bubba pucks you will need them,

tsquared

Welcome! I am a  newcomer myself and you will find these folks really helpful and understanding.
Happy smoking!
Tom

Oldman

Greetings John!

Sure glad you joined what I consider to be the Elite Back Yard Smokers Inc. and Company. [:D] I've been smokin' over 44-45 years and I've learned much here, and there is still much I have yet to try.

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I'd be happy to share the recipes if folks are interested<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

John, please post away. I know I'm very interested in what you have to offer. I'm sure I speak for the others here as well.

Again, glad you have joined us...
Olds

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Habanero Smoker</i>
<br />Welcome to the forum. The Maverick ET-73 it the preferred thermometer for monitoring the meat and chamber temperatures http://www.thegadgetsource.com/011502013733.html .
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thanks, Habanero Smoker--I just placed the order for a Maverick a few minutes ago.  I'm thrilled that it monitors both chamber and meat temps wirelessly.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SMOKEHOUSE ROB</i>
<br />welcome to the fourm. when you do your break in, (seasoning the bradley), it will be hard to keep it at 150 dont worry if it goes higher you wont hurt any thing, also get you some bubba pucks you will need them,
Thanks for the welcome, Smokehouse Rob.  I just ordered some Bubba Pucks from Chez Bubba, and I won't worry if the break-in temp goes over 150F.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

Hi All,

Another quick Q:  In my old bullet-type smoker, after I finished smoking fish I would clean up the racks before smoking nuts or turkey, but that's about it.  I'm planning to try salmon, turkey, nuts, and cheese in the BS over the next week--what do you folks recommend for clean-up in between smokes to prevent fish taste carrying over to other foods?

It's snowing and 15 degrees here in Boston--the perfect weather to smoke and enjoy a wee drammie of whisky once in a while . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">do you folks recommend for clean-up in between smokes to prevent fish taste carrying over to other foods?

Yepper I do~!

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

john, just spray your racks with pam before cooking, once done throw them in the dishwasher, wripe down the door seal with a rag after each smoke,and dump the water bowl, and last is  the v-drip pan,  i spray it lightly with pam before smoking and when the meat is done and its still hot. i will hose it off. thats about it, also i try to blow the saw dust out of the smoke genarator, and last thing have some fun, [:D]

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SMOKEHOUSE ROB</i>
<br />john, just spray your racks with pam before cooking, once done throw them in the dishwasher, wripe down the door seal with a rag after each smoke,and dump the water bowl, and last is  the v-drip pan,  i spray it lightly with pam before smoking and when the meat is done and its still hot. i will hose it off. thats about it, also i try to blow the saw dust out of the smoke genarator, and last thing have some fun, [:D]

Thanks, SR.  Sounds easy--do you use aluminum foil as a bottom liner?  A friend with a Cookshack (he's jealous, BTW) does that to catch any drippings and then just throws it out after each smoking.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

bsolomon

You shouldn't need any aluminum foil on the bottom.  The V-tray has a hole in the center and it funnels all of the drippings into the water bowl.  The aluminum tray that fits into the bottom that has the water bowl sitting on it seldom gets dirty at all.

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bsolomon</i>
<br />You shouldn't need any aluminum foil on the bottom.  The V-tray has a hole in the center and it funnels all of the drippings into the water bowl.  The aluminum tray that fits into the bottom that has the water bowl sitting on it seldom gets dirty at all.

Thanks!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

bighoof

Welcome J2C

Kummoks' fish is awesome, I usually use the Maverick to monitor cabinet temp. Don't want to mess around with one in the fish when moving racks.