Kentucky Beer Cheese

Started by Stargazer, October 29, 2008, 02:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stargazer

Heres a recipe I make especailly during the cold months. Problem is, I barely get any because my father and uncle devoure it during football games.

This is a cheese spread that is an old Kentucky tradition 'Hall's on the river'.

• 4 cups/16 oz sharp cheddar cheese.
  • 8 oz flat 'not stale' Beer of choice.
    • Note: Don't use a dark beer or it will seep through cheese, and lite beer is too watery. Use something such as Sam Adams Boston Lager or Boston Ale
  • 2 Tablespoons tabasco sauce, or 4 Tablespoons Louisiana hot sauce depending on taste. Tobasco will give more of a kick.
  • Around 1 to 1.5 teaspoons garlic salt.

After beer is flat, which can take a day or two 'don't microwave to make flat', chop up cheese into small cube or shred unless already pre-shredded. Dump cheese, beer, hot sauce and garlic into food processor and let it run. Check occationally until all the granular bits of cheese have been made creamy.

Pour contents into a container with lid, cover and chill in refridgerator for 2 to 3 days. It will thicken over those few days and the ingrediance will meld together nicely.

Eat with rye bread, crackers or celery while cold. Excellent with smoked sausage, salami and pepperoni on the side. And of course, a tall mug of your favorite suds with a football game on.

It would be very intresting to do this with cold smoked sharp cheddar cheese before mixing and see what the results would be.

Enjoy :)
Go here for all your smoke and grilling needs: http://www.yardandpool.com

La Quinta

Sounds great Stargazer...really yummy...great for a football game!!! Thanks for posting it...not something I would think about doing!!  :)

Wildcat

This sounds pretty good.  Will give it a try.  Thanks for the post.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Smokin Soon

Great idea there! My Mom is a great one for being prepared for drop-in guests and would always have some quick frozen appitizers to pop in the oven. Some of this cheezy goodness on a small sized party rye bread and you have a winner! In my case I will mix in some of my sausage that is too spicey for the wifey. Thanks for the idea!

Payson

Mmmmmmm....beer and cheese! How could you possibly go wrong! I'm gonna make this tonight for a Halloween party tomorrow. thanks for posting! It will be an excellent accompaniment to my Pig Candy!