• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

smoking sausage and summer sausage

Started by irish34, November 07, 2008, 05:33:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irish34

from what i have seen sausage hangs while smoking , does bradley make a rod of some sort to hang sausage or does anyone have any ideas on what to use . also if anyone has any good recipies on summer sausage i would be more than happy to try them. thanks

DTJ

I made my rods out of a 1/2" hardwood dowel and notched the ends so they would not roll.  I hung 15 ponds of summer sausage, I used Hi Mountain seasoning, but my kit was old so not sure if I got the full flavor out of it.  Someone will be along soon with a good recipe.  Good Luck

daryl

Habanero Smoker

I used to hang my sausage but now I place them on the racks.

To increase your capacity for hanging sausage by about 3", use 1x4" hard wood boards and attaching your dowels to that. There are also rods called smoke sticks you can purchase from most suppliers that sell sausage making equipment and supplies. You will have to cut them to size.

Here is a recipe for Summer Sausage that is on the recipe site. While their take a look a round.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

tlh178

i also use the hi mountain brand, its all i ever use. i do however put alot of spice to that mix, whole mustard seeds 3/4 cup, ground cayenne pepper1/2 cup,1/4 black pepper, this will put some bite to it, you can add or subtract to your liking. this is for a 30lb batch, which will make 9 1/2 sticks, i use 21lbs of venison and 9lbs of pork shoulder. just follow the directions in the box, when you get to the last temp setting, which is 180 to 200, i go with 180 for 7 hrs. this has always been what i have done it for years, also, once you start adding smoke, per instructions, i smoke for the whole duration. i also use bulk hickory chunks, as far as hanging them, have done it both ways, rack or hanging, i just use the rack and rotate every 2 hrs, g/l and enjoy

scphilli

Quote from: irish34 on November 07, 2008, 05:33:23 PM
from what i have seen sausage hangs while smoking , does bradley make a rod of some sort to hang sausage or does anyone have any ideas on what to use . also if anyone has any good recipies on summer sausage i would be more than happy to try them. thanks

I had always used 3/4 inch hickory dowels in my homemade cold smoker for summer sausage.  When I switched to the Bradley 4 rack, I just removed the bottom three racks, installed the top rack upside down, and used cheap "S" hooks from hardware store to hook onto rack to let 3 lb sausage hang.  Just make sure they are positioned so they are not touching each other or the sides.
THe summer sausage I make is "dry cure" so I wait until fall and make sure the temp in the smoker new gets above 60F.  I smoke for 12 hours and let dry for 2-3 months at 50F.  Good stuff!

drano

I put summer sausage on the racks.  I put a small strip of wood between them to keep them apart.  The back one will get more heat, so I rotate mine (reminds me I need to get a fan installed one of these days to even out the heat).
I normally don't put more than 5 sticks in at a time (3 lb each). 
I get my spice pack from http://www.friscospices.com/sausageseasoningmixes.asp on the south edge of Omaha NE.