• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Big Easy Butt and Veggies

Started by stillsmoking, November 08, 2008, 05:48:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stillsmoking

Got my Big Easy put together and have tried it out twice now.  Second time was last night and a hit!  5 1/2 pound pork butt covered in dry rub and vacuum sealed for about six hours.  Fired up the Big Easy and put the butt in on high uncovered for about two hours.  Brought the pork up to about 140, by the way it was in the 40's outside.  Back in the Big Easy for about and hour with the lid on brought the butt to about 175.  Out with the pork, Saran wrap, Foil, Towel and cooler for about 2 1/2 hours.  Into the Big Easy with a whole spaghetti squash, three tomatoes, a whole onion, two whole medium zucchini and a whole bulb of garlic.  After 45 minutes out with the tomatoes, onion, zucchini and garlic.  Whole mushrooms covered with slices of onion and two whole jalapenos with the squash back in.  30 minutes later take it all out.  Veggies into a pot with some bottled spaghetti sauce and turned into chunky veggie sauce.  Sauce goes over the spaghetti squash.  Delicious!  Pork Butt out of the cooler and sliced rather than shredded.  Oh my god, this is what pork is supposed to taste like.  Dinner was great last night, the roasted vegetables in the spaghetti sauce served over the squash was just full of great flavors.  The pork was moist, flavorful and just slightly pinkish on the inside.  As I said I have only used the unit twice now but we sure like the results.  May never cook veggies another way.  Really aching to try a whole fish in this thing.

Habanero Smoker

Thanks for posting this. I saw the recipe for pork butt but was reluctant to try it. I have a picnic shoulder that I'm currently thawing out. I'm going to leave the skin on, cure it, smoke it, then finish it in the Big Easy to crisp the skin. For $.89 a pound, it's a cheap experiment.

I haven't tried any vegetable yet. That sounds good, so I'll also be trying that next.

Thanks for the ideas.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

deb415611

SS,

That sounds awesome.  I'm going to have to try some veggies in mine.  It's raining right now so it's not looking good for today though.

Deb

NePaSmoKer

I really like mine, Have had it for 6 months now. Prime Rib turns out fantastic in it.

nepas

stillsmoking

We really like our roasted veggies around here and I bought this unit with veggies in mind.  Can't say enough about how good they were, will be doing much more.  First try with this unit was a nice roaster chicken also about 5 1/2 pounds.  I left it in a little too long and it was slightly dry but did a couple of big bakers with the chicken and they were perfect.  I also bought one of these for my mother, she has had mixed results but has also been reluctant to use the lid.  I find the cook times so far are very similar to what I am used to with my good old charcoal Weber.  More experimentation to come. 

Habs, let us know how your experiment turns out.  I will try to get better at posting pictures in the future.

Deb, for the record it was raining and blowing here.  I can't let the weather affect my plans or would never do anything.

deb415611

Quote from: stillsmoking on November 09, 2008, 06:52:13 AM
Deb, for the record it was raining and blowing here.  I can't let the weather affect my plans or would never do anything.

It's cleared up so I think I will be doing a turkey breast later.  The not using in the rain had more to do with the fact that it has been raining for awhile & it has been sitting outside uncovered.  I wasn't sure if it would light being so wet & damp.   

stillsmoking

Know what you mean, I had sideways rain the other day and decided a cover or at least a trash bag would be a good thing.  I am going to be interested to see what effect cooler temps this winter have on cooking times and the end product.

Habanero Smoker

Deb;

The way the forecast looks you may have this afternoon and tomorrow. The rest of the week look like periods of rain each day. :(

I broke down and purchased the cover, and it does a great job protecting it from the elements. I also purchased a basket and now wish I had gotten two.

Stillsmoking;
I definitely will let you know how it turns out.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beefmann