Need Help/HOW. DEER JERKY

Started by CherryCoke, January 07, 2009, 12:00:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CherryCoke

hELLO ALL, i NEED FAST HELP.
mY NEIGHBOR SAYS HE'S GOING TO BRING OVER SOME DEER THAT THEY SLICED AND SEASONED WITH A JERKY SEASONING.
i HAVE NEVER {woops} caps lock....done jerky.
How do i do?
what temp?
adding smoke?what flavor smoke?
how long?
when do i know its done?
     Chuck

Smoking Duck

Most folks will throw some smoke on their jerky for a couple of hours in the Bradley, then transfer to either an oven or dehydrator to finish.  If that doesn't work, here's a link to do it all in the Bradley.

I've never done it that way and maybe someone else will come along with more info to help soon.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

CherryCoke

SD, need more specific info & the LINK.I didnt see it anywhere  Chuck

Smoking Duck

Oops, forgot the link:

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=2718.0

Another tip is to click on search (top left, just to the left of the profile tab), type in your search words; I'd use beef jerky as the search topic) and be sure to click on the box "Search in topic subjects only".  This should provide a lot more help.

I haven't done very much jerky in the bradley, so I'm not that great of help but the search should help greatly.  As far as wood is concerned, I'd probably go with a heavier wood like hickory, oak or even mesquite, but that's just my tastes.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Piker

I do most of my jerky in my obs. I usually smoke for about 2 hrs. with hickory and since I use MTQ in my dry rub I finish it off at 170F until it is done which I tell by bending it if it cracks it too well done if it bends with a little difficulty thens thats how I like it. Its a matter of personal taste and experience. Dave 

CherryCoke

thanks fellas,
going in shortly, willl let you know when I have neighbor check it out,,,,when he gets off work,
ahhhh being retired has its perks..and today is sunny & 18 degrees out, and ice storm predicted friday,got the best day.
i only have Maple/Pecan pucks left..
cant find what I need around here,Ganders doesnt have Apple or Hickory in Cedar Rapids???
the guy there says most use Mesquite,..Not to my likeing.

CherryCoke

WELL, THE 1ST EVER TRY AT DEER JERKY IS OUTA THE BRADLEY.!!
The neighbors gave me rave reviews amd are interested in getting there own Bradley now!!do I get a incentive???
anyway, here how I did.IT.
The deer was sliced about 1/4"+  uneven
and rubbed down with High Mountain Pepper jerky rub,
It was fridged in ziplock overnite.
I warmed up the B,  also a pan of hot water and used Pecan pucks,im gettin awfully low,wish these were cheaper.
anyway......started it at 160, 1/8"vent,
2nd hour  170, 1/2" vent
rotated racks
3rd hour  180  all open vent
4 hours, temp was 195,neighbors got off work,lucky dawgs,still makin that hi dollars,and they sampled,and sampled, and congrated me, gave me 1 rack of Jerky and also tried to pay me.
I actually liked it, Im not into deer,but it was very good, soooooo, to you guys that offered your help, advice etc,  ;D  tnxxxxxx  I will make jerky another day !!   Chuck :D

Tiny Tim

Quote from: CherryCoke on January 08, 2009, 03:47:16 PM
WELL, THE 1ST EVER TRY AT DEER JERKY IS OUTA THE BRADLEY.!!
The neighbors gave me rave reviews amd are interested in getting there own Bradley now!!do I get a incentive???
anyway, here how I did.IT.
The deer was sliced about 1/4"+  uneven
and rubbed down with High Mountain Pepper jerky rub,
It was fridged in ziplock overnite.
I warmed up the B,  also a pan of hot water and used Pecan pucks,im gettin awfully low,wish these were cheaper.
anyway......started it at 160, 1/8"vent,
2nd hour  170, 1/2" vent
rotated racks
3rd hour  180  all open vent
4 hours, temp was 195,neighbors got off work,lucky dawgs,still makin that hi dollars,and they sampled,and sampled, and congrated me, gave me 1 rack of Jerky and also tried to pay me.
I actually liked it, Im not into deer,but it was very good, soooooo, to you guys that offered your help, advice etc,  ;D  tnxxxxxx  I will make jerky another day !!   Chuck :D

Neighbors are interested?  Show 'em my link at the bottom of my signature.  Keep the business in Iowa. :)