• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

considering a bradley

Started by falconbridge, November 11, 2008, 03:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

falconbridge

I have been smoking fish for a few years now. I converted refrigerator with a hot plate on the bottom.  Now I want to purchase a bradley smoker but I am not sure which one to choose.  Are there advantages?  I would appreciate any advise.  Thanks

beefmann

Falcon,

Welcome to the forum and there  are a lot of knoweldgeable people here and most if not all love there bradleys.

I  have a 4 rack orginal bradley smoker and it is more then enough for me.. the bradleys can be and or are a  set it and forget type of smoker I have moded  mine with a PID and wishes  that i have the ramp and soak version so i could smoke then cook.. this is more of a personal decision.

let  me give you  some food for thought...

how much food  will you be cooking / smoking at  once? ( you can figure about 10 lbs a rack ) so if you  will max at  40 lbs then get the orginal bradley 4 rack and you  will be happy if you will be doing more at  once then cconsider the 6 rack

I  have also done 6 full racks in my OBS 4 rack and still had room for 2 more  racks of ribs, done 26 lbs of pork roast at once that took 20 hours and 16  lb top surloin roast that took 17 hours.

if you  have more questions ask and im sure many  will help

here is a link of a pork loin that i did reacently

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=8158.0

falconbridge

Thanks for the welcome Beefmann, the pictures of the pork loin look just great.  I am leaning towards the bradley original.  I kind of like the simplicity of the unit. 4 racks would do me just fine. I have not smoked any meat yet but I am anxious to try espescially after veiwing all the great pics and recipes. 

I have my old refrigerator in a small shed and a chimeny carry's the smoke out side, do you know if the bradley can have a chimenny attached?  It gets pretty cold up here in northern ontario, my shed is not insulated but I am out of the wind.    Thanks again

beefmann

yes it can and people have attached a ventalation duct from the local hardware store...only thing is being able to adjust the vent might  consider a water heater cap that lifts the duck about 2 inches and then add the duct... just my 2 cents

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum falconbridge!

I have a bradley 4 rack original. Works great for me. I recently added a PID, it makes it even easier.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

I have both the Bradley Original and Bradley Digital.  If it were me, I'd save the money and go with the original.  Most work it just fine as is or you can do what I and many others have done and add a PID to the original.  Either way you go, you can't go wrong.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Smokin Soon

I'm with the Duck on this one. I have the digital and love it dearly, but if I was to do it again I would go the original with a p.i.d.

falconbridge

Thanks everyone, Bradley original on its way.  I have read other posts that talk about a PID, what exactly is a PID? Is this an after market install, does bradley sell a PID. 

Thanks all what a Great site.   

falconbridge

Perfect now I understand what a PID is.  I will need one of those for sure.  Thanks