• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Turkey test

Started by westexasmoker, November 17, 2008, 11:11:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westexasmoker

Well with thanksgiving two weeks away I thought I'd better test out a turkey with the smoker and the big easy.  12.5 pound bird, rinsed, patted dry, rubbed with olive oil and then rubbed with Mcormick chicken rub.  Out of the smoker after 1 hour, next time will go with 2 hours of smoke.  And off to the beg easy.

Figured it would take about 2 hours in the big easy, but got side tracked repairing a faucet and it ran for about 2 1/2 hours IT hit 190, so a little overcooked but not dried out at all.  Crispy on the outside and nice juicy and tender inside.  All in all a successful test for thanksgiving!

C

Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

beefmann

NePaSmoKer

Oldman

Thanks for the info... The one time a year I cook turkey is Thanksgiving. I had been thinking about using the B&E.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

beefmann

saw and hand my hands on the big and easy at  sams club... looks like a nice piece of cooking equipment ... only thing i dont like about it  is no heat adjustment...

westexasmoker

Forgot to throw in the end result, the left over carcass was boiled up last night for stock!

C

Oldman

Quoteonly thing i dont like about it  is no heat adjustment...
Even though it only says on / off on my unit you can adjust the flame. However, I don't think that is a good thing.

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Smoking Duck

Smooth looking turkey, WTS.  How big of a bird is the BE equipped to handle?  I sure wish I'd seen one of these about 11 months ago.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

westexasmoker

SD,

Will handle up to a 16 pound bird, I think some of the other members got theirs froms Costco and its a bigger model...wanna say up to 22 pounds, but don't quote me on that.  Its a pretty cool machine!

C

pensrock

WTS, are these electric or gas fired?

Smoking Duck

I believe its propane, Pens.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

westexasmoker

Quote from: Smoking Duck on November 19, 2008, 01:01:13 PM
I believe its propane, Pens.

Yep mesquite flavored propane!  ;D

C

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

NePaSmoKer

wts

Cabelas is going to dxx (discontinue) the big easy. Might be going to the cave for like $70. I got mine for $74

nepas

La Quinta

Thanks Nepa...cool...gonna look!!!