• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Pulled Pork

Started by NW2kChevy, November 21, 2008, 11:49:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NW2kChevy

How's it goin' everybody? I've been lookin around on these forums since I got my 6 rack DBS last month. I've learned a lot and it's lead to some damn good chickens, ABT's and buffalo wings. I live in Oregon and will probably be doing a lot of salmon and cheeses this winter since I've got a few Spring and Fall chinook in the freezer and usually pick up a few blocks of cheese from the Tillamook cheese factory when I'm out there fishing and crabbing in the winter so I'm sure I'll have more questions about those comin up. But I'm postin today because I'm havin some guys over tomorrow to play some poker and whatnot and I think I'm gonna do some pulled pork and ABT's. I've been readin on here and it looks like all I need to do is slather her up with some mustard, hit it with a good rub, smoke it for 4 hours and then throw it in the oven at 205 til it hits 185-200? Sounds simple enough to me but I just want to make sure that I'm not missin anything. Any help would be appreciated and I'll be sure to take some pics.

Thanks,
Cody

beefmann

NW2

welcome to the forum and yes your on the  right track with oven and IT temps... of you  want it juicy as well ... after the smoke wrap it in foil and then into the oven and let it  cook to an IT of 185 and check on it ...

how you  would  check on it .. is open the foil and stab it  with a  folk and lift it .. if it pulls apart .. guess what.... its done .. pull it out and let it  stand for 10 to 15 mins and then start  shreadding it ... and  enjoy

KyNola

NW2,
Welcome aboard!  The Beefmann has you hooked up and yes it is just that simple.  Now, you have to do us all a favor and not tell your buddies just how simple it really is.  We want all of our families and friends to think it is really difficult and we must spend hours slaving over it. ;) We also want them to believe that you have to watch it the entire time and if you have to watch it, one wouldn't want to get too thirsty! ;D

Let us know what your friends think,
                 KyNola

Smokin Soon

Second that Kynola!  "Gee honey, I wish I could go to the Mall with you but I have to tend to the smoker"  "And since I cant leave, could you grab me a 12 pack"

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the forum NW2kChevy!'

what they said.......
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

NW2kChevy

Right on thanks for the info. One other thing, I just got the butt in the smoker about 45 minutes ago and the butt that I got had what I think to be the skin on the top side. I didn't remove it I just cut slits in it and got everything rubbed down in there. I figured it wouldnt be a big deal to leave it on I was thinking it would just help to keep the moisture in. Did I totally screw it up or is this normal? Oh yeah it's a 10 lb bone in one btw.

Thanks again,
Cody

Gizmo

You will be just fine.  It will all be falling apart before you know it. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

beefmann

itwill be just fine nw2

FLBentRider

Should be fine.

I've never seen a pork butt with skin.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Habanero Smoker

Cody;

I've never purchased a butt with the skin on. You may have gotten what is called a picnic shoulder, it is part of the arm (front leg) that is just below the butt (shoulder). If the bone is round it is a picnic shoulder; if the bone is flat (shoulder blade) its the butt. The picnic shoulder is a lot leaner, and the flavor though good, is not quite the same as the butt. You can smoke cook the way you did it, but you will not get as much smoke flavor, because if you are pulling it, you will need to discard the skin.

If you have the picnic, when I smoke picnics, I make them one of two ways. Remove the skin and most of the fat, and smoke/cook until an internal temperature of 165°F. Then break apart in large sections and slice. Or leave the skin on, brine or cure, smoke for a 4 hours then transfer to a hot oven to crisp the skin and bring the internal temperature to 165°F

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

beefmann

cody your welcome and you  will find a lot of usefull information here ... if you  cant  find what you  are looking  for .. ask

LilSmoker

On this side of the pond (u.k.), it's quite usual for pork cuts to come with the rind/skin still on. Lots of the shoulders i buy for pulled pork come this way, usually i just score the rind/skin with a sharp knife and leave it on whilst smoking, although it can be removed very easily if need be.

Here's a typical shoulder of pork from my local butcher:

A good few hours later:

;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

westexasmoker

That looks great LS....to bad I don't have a boat, I'd have to come visit! (I'll bring a brisket or two)  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

beefmann

LS looks delicious keep up the great work

NW2kChevy

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 22, 2008, 01:38:01 AM
Cody;

I've never purchased a butt with the skin on. You may have gotten what is called a picnic shoulder, it is part of the arm (front leg) that is just below the butt (shoulder). If the bone is round it is a picnic shoulder; if the bone is flat (shoulder blade) its the butt. The picnic shoulder is a lot leaner, and the flavor though good, is not quite the same as the butt. You can smoke cook the way you did it, but you will not get as much smoke flavor, because if you are pulling it, you will need to discard the skin.

If you have the picnic, when I smoke picnics, I make them one of two ways. Remove the skin and most of the fat, and smoke/cook until an internal temperature of 165°F. Then break apart in large sections and slice. Or leave the skin on, brine or cure, smoke for a 4 hours then transfer to a hot oven to crisp the skin and bring the internal temperature to 165°F

That's the cut that I got, it came out of the oven this morning at about 10 at 192 degrees so it took about 15 hours total. I FTC'd it for a few hours and opened her up and shredded it....WOW. The meat on the top section didn't have as much smoke as I would have liked but the rest of it was perfect. I got the sauce made and slaw made and now I just gotta wait. I don't know how you guys wait two weeks to eat cheese after its smoked! I can barely handle 3 hours  ;D But anyways here's some pics of how it came out. Pretty good for my first time I think

About an hour into the applewood smoke..

After 4 hours of smoke and ready the the cider bath..

After 11 hours at 205..

Oh so good..