• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Thermometer

Started by birdboy, December 25, 2004, 01:50:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

birdboy

Fired up the BS with the Maverick thermometer.  The temperature difference between the Bradley thermometer and the Maverick is like 50 degrees !!!  The BS thermo is the lower of the two, I checked the batteries with a tester and they are reading off the scale full charge ...  

Who do you believe??? I don't want to open the door and check with a manual if I can help it, I'll lose a bunch of heat and I got a late start as it is.

Hopefully some of you guru's are around this evening [:(]

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

thats a good one, humm just split it in the middle of the two. is my best guess. another thing what are you cooking? is the door temp touching your meat?

birdboy

Hey Rob, the probe is dangling below the second rack, took out the third rack.  Didn't get a chance to use the rack mount.

Cooking to whole chickens cut in half and a goose breast wrapped in bacon.  Its been going for an hour the Bradley says 175 the Mav is at 212 and I dangled a therm through the vent at the top and its about 190.

The chicken breast has the probe in it and has come up from refridgerator temp to 120 in an hour according to the Mav.

Hmmm...good question on the door temp touching the meat... didn't think about it.  I guess when its done smoking and the Mav says the Chicken is at 170, I'll open it up and stick a meat thermometer in it.

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

could be your mavrick, i just got mine a week ago and has a good set of batteries and i am lucky to get 20 feet away, line of site then it locks up wont read anything, and it does read differant. my bbq guru is almost right on with the door temp. so maybe we both got a bad batch

birdboy

What temp does yours get up to?  I turned mine on full blast and it seems like max temp was 228 on the Mav, 190 on the door temp.

Another neat feature, if you turn you slider all the way to the right does that turn yours off too.  I noticed that after I had lost 40 degrees.[:(!]

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

birdboy, something is wrong with your bradley, mine will hit about 325  max temp , pushed all the way to the right, that should not turn it off !!! you need to call bradley.

nsxbill

One way I can think of to see how close your thermometer is to put probe into boiling water.  See if you are close to 212
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Another neat feature, if you turn you slider all the way to the right does that turn yours off too.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

NO~! That should be max heat.

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

birdboy

Nsxbill, thats a great suggestion, I'll do it tomorrow.  When I first got it I held the probe in my closed hand and it registered 97 degrees so I figured it was pretty accurate for a surface temp.  But I will check.

Yep, turn it all the way to the right and the power light goes out figured it was glitch with the light.... until I lost 50 degrees.  I bumped it back a hair and the light came on but the max temp I ever saw was 228 on the probe and 190 on the BS thermo.

Great... sounds like another fine unit out of the box  [:(!]  I don't suppose they are open on Sunday ...

On the bright side (after having to finish everything in the oven [:(] ), the goose breast was outstanding, the chicken was kind of bland, didn't seem to get much flavor penetration.

birdboy

I wonder if I should just return it to the place of purchase and get another one ... although will all the problems out of the box that I've read about, I may be in the same boat...

JJC

Just tried our my new Maverick MT-73.  I calibrated it in ice water and boiling water, and it was within 3-4 degrees of accurate (on the high side:  35 in ice water and 216 in boiling water).   My BS temp dial reads about 5-8 degrees lower than the Maverick, but that's really quite good.  It probably means my BS dial is a bit low and my Maverick is a bit higher than the actual temp, but both are more than close enough me.

Unfortunately, I have a real problem with the range on the Maverick.  Like Smokehouse Rob, I only get about 15-20 feet line of sight with my unit.  My friend has one and gets about 80ft. line of sight, and can go upstairs to his bedroom (50 ft, not line of sight) and still have the unit work, so I think there is a "bad batch".  I called Maverick today and they were very nice, but said their main guy, Darren, will not be in until Wedensday, 12/29.  I'm calling him then and will let everyone know the outcome.

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

SMOKEHOUSE ROB

J2C. hey if you dont mind. i would like to have that phone # so i can call them on wed. also. thanks

nsxbill

The concern I had with the Maverick's short range, and aside from that, the capability of the Procom4 Guru is what prompted me to spend the extra bucks and upgrade from the Competitor Guru controller.  I can come into the computer room, at the other end of the house and watch the temperature of the Bradley, and even tweak it a bit if I need to.  Range is outstanding at 200 yards, and can get good reception from anywhere in the house.  

Temp control is so crucial, and the PIA running back and forth to adjust the BS was just not something I like to do.  

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nsxbill</i>
<br />The concern I had with the Maverick's short range, and aside from that, the capability of the Procom4 Guru is what prompted me to spend the extra bucks and upgrade from the Competitor Guru controller.  I can come into the computer room, at the other end of the house and watch the temperature of the Bradley, and even tweak it a bit if I need to.  Range is outstanding at 200 yards, and can get good reception from anywhere in the house.  

Temp control is so crucial, and the PIA running back and forth to adjust the BS was just not something I like to do.  

Bill
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Bill,

I'm not sure what unit you are comparing to the Maverick.  Can you describe it more fully and perhaps provide a link to a website?  Thanks!

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

JJC

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by SMOKEHOUSE ROB</i>
<br />J2C. hey if you dont mind. i would like to have that phone # so i can call them on wed. also. thanks
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Hi Rob,

The number is 800-526-0954.  Ask for Darren.  He is in from 7AM-3PM EST (not the 8:30-4:30 times given in the instruction manual).

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA