• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Spice Storage

Started by Smokin Soon, November 23, 2008, 06:42:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Soon

I recently re-stocked some most used spices from Butcher-Packer and need to know from the guru's here how to store them properly, And recommendations  for containers. There all in 1 lb bags.

La Quinta

Generally speaking...a container that allows no light in is the best way to store spices. The light can make them "age" quicker...and always in a cool, dry, dark place...stainless canisters are a good bet...especially for 1lb bags...I'm sure others will chime in on how they store theirs.  :)

NePaSmoKer

SS

With LQ on this.

I use larger plastic shaker containers placed in my spice cab that is way in back of the pantry nice and dark

nepas

LilSmoker

As already said, they're best kept in a cool, dark and dry enviroment, if i have any large ammounts of spice to store, i vacuum seal it, then place into a suitable container.

Having said all this, i have to be honest, a friends wife who is really into cooking, has a huge spice rack in her kitchen, you know the type with all the glass jars etc. Well the kitchen is always roasting hot whenever i visit, i did ask her once if she had any trouble with the spices, as they were exposed to light and heat etc?

She just replied "No, not at all" so...............?

I suppose it has a lot to do with how quickly the spice gets used and replaced?

;)
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

manxman

QuoteAs already said, they're best kept in a cool, dark and dry enviroment, if i have any large ammounts of spice to store, i vacuum seal it, then place into a suitable container.

I am with LS on this, I vacuum seal and keep in the cool and dark.  :)
Manxman

3rensho

I take out what I'm likely to use withing two months and store that dark and cool.  The remainder gets vacuum sealed and stored at -18C.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

HCT

Vacuum seal is the way to go, store in a dark dark place. :P
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Smoking Duck

For bulk spices, I do the same as 3 renshro.  The spices I'm most likely to use get stored in their own cabinet which I suppose is dark when the door is shut.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

beefmann

Mr Walleye

Quote from: beefmann on November 24, 2008, 07:05:40 AM
cool dark place

You guys need to move to Saskatchewan!

It's always cold and dark here!

:D  :D  :D  ;D  ;D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

La Quinta

Yeah Fishman...a challenge for some of us!!  :)

Tenpoint5

I have a grey plastic tote that I keep all my spices in and that is kept in a hall closet to keep Momma out of it.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smokin Soon

I'm still taking this all in. 10 point what is in the grey tote? Vac bag sealed or container?

Smokin Soon

So when you vac seal spices, they can go in the freezer or fridge? Could you leave a long lead on the bag seal so it could be cut and then re-sealed?

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Smokin Soon on November 24, 2008, 08:23:17 PM
I'm still taking this all in. 10 point what is in the grey tote? Vac bag sealed or container?

Sorry about that Container with plastic over the opening. or in a Zip Bag with the air pushed out. Dont have a Vac sealer my other one died. Havent had the monies to replace it just yet.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!