Thanks Giving Ham

Started by Stargazer, November 24, 2008, 04:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stargazer

Just wanted to share some pictures with everyone of the Thanks Giving ham I cured up and smoking as of now.

Using the Maverick ET-73 that I got from Yard & Pool for the first time too, and it is such a blessing of a tool to have. I can't see how I haven't used it before.  :o

Didn't get any pictures of before the hind got started, but this is after 15 days, weighed alittle over 24.5lbs using brown sugar honey and insta cure#1

A close up while washing to show the good ole cure that worked it over.

Although I can't hang my hams right now being I currently use a bullet smoker, I still stocking it up. But I'll have my Bradley soon... soon  ;D[/center]

My father and I taken my bullet smoker over to his place, this is it in use as of this posting. It gets the job done, but really makes me drool for my Bradley soon. I don't think I have the Maverick to close to the smoke chamber, this is the first time using it; so if any wise elders here think it is, please let me know, because this puppys going to be smoking all night. 'and due to get snow :( '

Another view just before dusk in my fathers back yard. This is where I'll be moving and waiting to get my Bradley and shipped here. Now while its smoking up, watching my Maverick, sipping on some Pepsi and Kentucky slow distilled corn beverage listenting to Allman Brothers and Johnny Winter for most the night playing on the pc over here and watching tv with my father. Life is good :D
Go here for all your smoke and grilling needs: http://www.yardandpool.com

beefmann

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Stargazer on November 24, 2008, 04:02:51 PM
Now while its smoking up, watching my Maverick, sipping on some Pepsi and Kentucky slow distilled corn beverage listenting to Allman Brothers and Johnny Winter for most the night playing on the pc over here and watching tv with my father. Life is good :D[/center]

Even when you get your Bradley it still don't get any better than THAT!!! Life is Good!!

Got a 6.5 lb ham started tonight myself will get some pics and start my own post later dont wanna push into yours.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

westexasmoker

Thats a good looking ham there, can't wait to see the outcome!  Pour yourself a double!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smokin Soon

Just looking at that ham I had to pour MYSELF a double!

westexasmoker

Quote from: Smokin Soon on November 24, 2008, 04:48:40 PM
Just looking at that ham I had to pour MYSELF a double!

I just did!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smokin Soon

Long distance "cheers" to you Wts!   ;D

Stargazer

Ok everyone, need some help please.

My new Mavrick is alarming out. Its the ET-73 that also reads the smoke chamber. It was doing great, then all the sudden after I say about 4 hours, it shot way up and started to alarm saying my smoke chamber was to hot.

I turned the heat down on it. My father and I ended up taking the probe out of the meat chamber until it was ice cold, and only dropped to about 208F which I am trying to maintain 170-190F

We dont think its a crushed wire, and were very careful putting the probes in and the wiring out.

The food probe is working fine. I double checked it with an annologue thermometer a few times, trying to keep from opening the lid to much.

Has anyone else had this problem, or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance. Until then, looks like Ill be smoking with out the Maverick tonight   ???

Added: This is the first time ever using an electric thermometer. I have always used dial until tonight. Read through the directions over and over, but heat keeps skyrocketing by smoke chamber probe reading.

beefmann

it may be a bad element I would compare the two elements on an meter .. or it may be bad electronics... you  may  want to switch probes to different ports on the transmitter and see what happins

Stargazer

I was doing some thinking 'ouch' and let me run this by you, or any others please, and see what yall think...

The dial thermometer is reading right on with the maverick, however, this smoker I have currently has run super hot before, even keeping it on low.

Has anyone ever used a bullet type smoker before and noticed them running extra hot at times. Not always, mind you, its most likely haunted.

Just an idea. But Ill definatly check out what you said Beefmann. I'm still learning it all right now  :-\

La Quinta

Yeah StarMan...I have had the bullet style run really hot...then it seems to level out...it could be because everytime I see it getting nuclear in temp I pull the lid off??? Then it takes a while to go hot again...actually...the very reason I bought an OBS...BUT...That ham looks killer...it'll turn out great...got a lot of "plumpness" in it!!  ;D

You'll get your Bradley soon and amaze us with it!! I'm sure!

As far as hangin out with your Dad..."Priceless"!!

Patience

I've had to order several replacement probes.  If any liquid gets in the end of the probe where the mesh protecting is, its toast, and yes, it reads high.  Is there any chance you dipped it in the water pan, or even grease dripping on it?  I think I've gone thru 3 probes now, and every one of them read high and every time was my fault.  I washed one carelessly, dropped one into the water pan, and left one out in the rain.  

You can get replacments on their website.

Did you use nitrite in your brine?  I'm thinking about doing up a ham and injecting 10% by weight and soaking the rest for about a week.  I see so many different amounts for nitrite and salt and sugar, just wondering what you were brewing.

Nice job!
A well used minimum suffices for everything -- Phileas Fogg

Stargazer

La Q, you nailed it. Sometimes this bullet smoker goes nuts. Like its possesed heat wise  ::)

Right now everything has calmed down and running nice and smoothly.

And you can say that again about being with Dad. We are more like best friends or brothers and father and son.

As for the probes, I did make sure not to get them wet or any grease or such, however, its been heavy mist, not rain, but light drizzle. That possibly could of done it maybe? I am not sure, but it would make sense. However, now it seems to be running fine since I turned the smoker to the lowest possible setting. Thing is, the old fashioned dial thermometer is agreeing with the Maverick... huh, go figure  ???

Now, heres the spookie part guys... this smoker dosnt ALWAYS run this hot, which is why I didn't think of it running hot first of all. I swear, this bullet smoker is haunted or possesed. But I'm not complaining, it at least smokes I guess.

As for the ham, I did use nitrite along with a mix of brown sugar, honey and a touch of maple. I also injected but using 15% instead of 10% for my formula for injecting.

I seen alot of differant variances too, this just seems to work for me and everyone seems to love it, and comes out nice and pinkish.

Heres my formula if you like...

15% x Xoz = oz per pump

My ham is around 22lbs or 352oz; being 16oz per lbs.

This now gives me an easy plug in formula...

.15 x 352oz = 52.8oz per pump

The injector I use holds 4oz at a time. Rounding off I get this...

52/4=13 or 52.8/4=13.2

so that means 13 full injections, or 13.2 if you wish to get technical, but the .2 isn't a problem.

But I never heard of anyone complain with the 10% either. Just make sure you get the injections close to the bone as you can, because ham spoils from inside out, rather then outside in, at least as the famous Rytek Kutas says in his Bible Great sausage making... errrrm,... don't have the book next to me to quote the title, help someone :P

Also, never use metal to brine your ham in. You use long periods and the metal reacts.

Making ham is great fun :D ... unless you got a haunted bullet smoker :P

Tenpoint5

I know I wont have to worry about any Ham spoiling from the inside out around here. The darn thing will probably be gone within a day or two.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

If you used the batteries that came with the Maverick. that may also be the cause of the problem. When the batteries get weak you will also get sporadic readings.

Nice looking ham. I generally can only inject about 10% brine, and 10% works well.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)