• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Brine Question

Started by smokinpoz, November 24, 2008, 06:48:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smokinpoz

Hi everyone,

We have had our smoker for almost two years and really love using it.  I have enjoyed reading and trying the many ideas you share here.  I have not been able to find an answer to this question though - after brining a thawed turkey (about 13 lbs.) how long can it sit in the fridge before smoking?  Thanks for your help!  

Habanero Smoker

Though the salt in the brine gives it more protection, as a general rule you don't want to keep it in the refrigerator any longer then you would a thawed bird that has not been brined.

It's always a good practice to let it rest in the refrigerator for about 24 after taking it out of the brine, but that step is not necessary. For better smoke penetration, before placing the bird  in the smoker air dry the bird in the refrigerator uncovered until the skin feels tacky to the touch.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

Hi Smokinpoz........Habs has you spot on.  Whenever I have this type of question, Habs is the go to guy.  Follow his directions and you will be fine!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

smokinpoz

Thanks for your help.  I want to smoke the bird the day before Thanksgiving, but hubby wants it fresh out of the smoker.  We brined overnight and it's in the fridge now to dry.  I guess he wins as I think it'll be fine til early, early Thursday morning.  Thanks again!

beefmann

smokinpoz welcome to the forum.. habs  has you  hooked up

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum smokinpoz!

ditto what habs said.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!