• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Turkey and ham together? Help

Started by jbollier, November 25, 2008, 07:01:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbollier

I will smoke a glazed ham and turkey breast for Thanksgiving at the same time, what wood flavor does anyone suggest? The turkey will be rubbed with an excellent bird dry roast and the ham will be glazed with a pomagranite-honey and have whole cloves stuck in it all over.

westexasmoker

I know what I'd use......Oh nevermind!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

jbollier

sherlock

What he is not telling you is that mesquite is the ONLY wood for smoking anything.

In his humble opinion anyway.
;D

Oldman

I would think that most would use hickory or maple for the ham... but that does not really work with turkey. I would suggest the mild adler wood. A safe middle of the road.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Tenpoint5

I would suggest the Maple if you want more smoke flavor but not the pronounced heavy smoke of Hickory or Messy Wood (WTS's Mesquite). Either way you go make sure you put the Ham above the bird so the juices drip down onto the bird and baste it for you.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

love the smoke

Cherry

Good smoke flavor but not overwhelming
LTS

Smoking Duck

I would probably go with cherry, apple or maple, in no particular order.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

jbollier

Thanks, I have cherry, alder, pecan, hickory and apple but no mesquite. You see I live in North Texas and have used mesquite all my life and am quite tired of the stuff. I wish I had some oak, you can't beat it for it's mild sweet flavour but Cabelos doesn't carry it. Excellent suggestion of placing the ham above the turkey. Now don't get me wrong, mesquite is good for grilling because of the intense heat the coals put out but in my honest and humble opinion there are better wood flavours. Because mesquite is so plentiful here in North Texas I burned it in my fireplace and it's intense heat burned out the firebox which I had to replace at no small cost.

Tenpoint5

Quote from: jbollier on November 25, 2008, 12:37:58 PM
Thanks, I have cherry, alder, pecan, hickory and apple but no mesquite. You see I live in North Texas and have used mesquite all my life and am quite tired of the stuff. I wish I had some oak, you can't beat it for it's mild sweet flavour but Cabelos doesn't carry it. Excellent suggestion of placing the ham above the turkey. Now don't get me wrong, mesquite is good for grilling because of the intense heat the coals put out but in my honest and humble opinion there are better wood flavours. Because mesquite is so plentiful here in North Texas I burned it in my fireplace and it's intense heat burned out the firebox which I had to replace at no small cost.

HEHEHEHEHEHE wait till WTS reads this!!! A fella from Texas that say's MESQUITE SUCKS HEHEHEHEHEHEHEHE or something close to it I might have read between the lines a little.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smoking Duck

Oh  man, Oh man, Oh man, Oh man........WTS is gonna be in a frenzy.......... but good on ya, jbollier!  A Texan that isn't afraid to diss the state tree!  :o :o :o

Whew, I am giggling like a school girl  ;) ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

beefmann

jbollier

Ok, to each his own but maybe WTS uses mesquite because that is what he is used to and that is all that grows out in West Texas you can smoke with unless you can figure out how to use cactus. Around here we have naturally occuring oak, pecan, hickory, black walnut, pear and MESQUITE.
Hey WTS, I'm just giving ya a good ole Texas ribbing so don't come look me up to give me a Texas style whoopen, ha

Tenpoint5

Sd I sure hope WTS gets to read it before LQ sees it.

jbollier

OK, now who is LQ? Another mesquite fanatic? We have a town named that here but that doesn't mean they have world class smoked BBQ