• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

The end of a great day....

Started by Oldman, December 26, 2004, 02:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Tired. It is now almost 10 pm and I got up at 4 am this morning and started...

If you don't know what it is...it is the end of my Prime Rib...[:D] Just the bones with some extra meat on them for my vegtable soup... Hope eveyone's  dinner went as planned.

Love, kisses and a Merry Christmas.... BTW my two bottles of 50 year old brandy are gone... [:(][:(][:(]
Olds...

http://rminor.com

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

tsquared

After 2 bottles of brandy Dow, that't not tired you're feeling! [:)] Glad you had a good day. The smoked salmon I brought up(Kummock's recipe) for the gathered group disappeared like...smoke! Got the thumbs up on the salmon  from my father in law and uncle who are both retired commercial fishermen.
Tom

nsxbill

Isn't it great to get such good results when you have other folks over to enjoy the fare!  Enough of this what's for Christmas!  Now it's what's for New Year.  I am going to try a standing rib roast for sure!

Bill
There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

birdboy

Excellent, sounds (and looks) like you had a good one!

Mine would have been better if my christmas present (the BS) would have worked right out of the box.  Add too it the embarassment of having a bunch of people over to witness it...

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Now it's what's for New Year.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">I Know what's for New Year's meal and I AM NOT COOKING~~~! Mother and my wife are....same same every year. Black Eye Peas, Collars with ham & Corn bread. Old Southern meal for "Luck" in the upcoming yard---Yuck on the Black Eye Peas! <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I am going to try a standing rib roast for sure!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Bill I cannot express just how important ageing your meat is. You can take an average Choice USDA grade and if you aged it at a temp of 37-39 degrees for 3 weeks you will be able to cut the meat with a butter knive.

During the year if I want another rib-roast I still get a whole 7 bone that is cryovac packed. I make sure it still have its vacuum. After the ageing is over I will cut several steaks off of it. Then cut the bones off of the steaks and use them in a soup. Next I wrap and freeze steaks and bones. The rest I roast as a P-rib.  I have also done this on my Porter House/ T-Bone. I take it back to the butcher shop for the cutting as I don't have a saw. I don't allow the butcher to age it as generally their boxes are cooler and once you get below 36 degrees that ageing process stops.  

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Mine would have been better if my christmas present (the BS) would have worked right out of the box. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> birdboy I can only express my feelings for you. I fully understand your <i>embarassment of having a bunch of people over to witness it.</i>

I'm sure Mr. Bradley will do right by you concerning this issue but nevertheless, when something happens like this it is painful.

Wish all here a full and complete New Year.
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

birdboy

Well those at Bradley aren't back at work today, I've got a group of people coming over on Friday, planned on smoking ....

May just take the #&*!@ thing back [:(!]

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">May just take the #&*!@ thing back <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Whoa... I can say in all truth that cutting your nose off to spite you face will not Get_Er_Done.  Take it back if you are angry enough; get something else. Make your life easy. However, if you want to do refinded smokin' then you will need the Bradley.

Yes I truely understand you being upset...but as my Mother used to say when things went wrong... Please just don't throw the Baby out with the bath water...
Olds

birdboy

Sorry I meant take it back and exchange it with another one.  Didn't really want to do that since I've already seasoned it, but if I can't get the parts to fix it by Friday, then I may be better off getting another unit (knock on wood) and seasoning it so its ready to go.

After seeing a number of posts about defects, especially with the temp control, right out of the box (some are on their third or more replacement units),... just stomps all over my hot button.  Makes me want to call them up and launch into a long diatribe about quality control ... maybe its a good thing there closed today ... j/k

Ok, I'm done now ... We'll see what tomorrow brings.

Anyone know why they haven't gone with digital heat controls yet?  I wouldn't think the price (at the quantities they would buy) would be that much more....you see digital temp controls on so many things now days ...

JJC

Here's my Christmas smoking report:

Did two turkey breasts, one with the Olds T-shirt method and one without.  Used apple wood.  The naked breast was excellent,  but the T-shirt bird was exquisite!  Followed Olds' advice to the letter and the difference was quite noticeable.  Kept the vent open all the way so the skin wouldn't be too rubbery.  I was going to try placing a pan with a little apple juice in the lowest rack and keep the vent wide open to see if I could collect enough drippings for a smoked gravy, but my wife felt I had enough new variables to work with so she bought a small breast and roasted it in the oven just to make gravy (and probably to CMA in case the BS didn't work . . .).  The gravy was great, but the BS birds were so good we brought the oven bird down to the Pine Street Homeless Shelter because it wasn't going to get eaten at our house!  I'll try the gravy thing next time I get a chance and report back to the Forum.

Did a batch of salmon fillets and steelhead fillets, too.  Both were done using the brine I posted in the Cure Forum.  Did the salmon fillets first--they were very good, but needed more smoke flavor (I smoked them for 4 hours).  The steel head fillets were smoked in 2:1 apple:cherry for 5 hours as follows:

1 hr at 90-100F  cold smoke--just the smoke generator on
2 hr at 120F
2 hr at 180-190 (until internal fish temp was 140F)

They were superb, and got rave reviews from everyone, along with the T-shirt turkey.

Just did some cheddar cheese, and will try some pistachio nuts soon.  Full reports to come . . .

John
Newton MA
John
Newton MA

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> CMA in case the BS didn't work <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Too funny as it was not to long ago my wife was worried and did a complete back up dinner too~~!

Woman... what you going to do... In my case at my age and given how good my 60 year old woman looks I think I will just put up with her.... here is a facsimily of her [:D]  

Now boys get them there eye-balls back into your head... she is mine~~!

Oh ok you can have my Ex-wife.....

Suffer Baby suffer... LOL

Ok enough of the fun stuff....
Olds

Oldman

birdboy,

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">just stomps all over my hot button. Makes me want to call them up and launch into a long diatribe about quality control ... <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

I've gotten to somewhat know due to some problems I have had with the Bradley the folks over there.  Also I have my own business. I believe you are correct that as of late there has been some problems with the newer units.  However, knowing the Bradley folks and how they have handled my problems I think I can say that Mr. Bradley is more than likely on some folks A$$ concerning these matters.  If not it would so easy to just take down this posting site and stop the postings.  I believe this a good representation of Mr. Bradley fustration at this point is:

No good business man wants this type of hazzle. I'm sure he will get it under control. Frankly I do believe the Bradley people are good business folks.
Olds

nsxbill

Going to do up a Prime Rib for the little woman.  Hope she likes it.

Hate to disappoint her Olds!

Great having a wife a little younger than you!

Bill

There is room on earth for all God's creatures....right on my plate next to the mashed potatoes.

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Great having a wife a little younger than you!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Ya but mine is seasoned... beside have you got this action... [:D]

Kidding aside... you got one great looking lady. In fact if she was to come to my door I would have to pour One Ounce of Ugly on Her before I could even find my words to say come in...

G/L with the rib...

nsxbill

Olds,

I love my wife but if she looked like this, I would never leave home!  Probably be dead!  

This is Elisha Cuthbert. I think she is about 25-26 Years Old. Although she probably does have prime ribs, I think I have strayed from the post a bit!

Bill

Oldman

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Olds,

I love my wife but if she looked like this, I would never leave home! Probably be dead!

This is Elisha Cuthbert. I think she is about 25-26 Years Old. Although she probably does have prime ribs, I think I have strayed from the post a bit!

Bill

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Bill you are too funny... and I agree about her Prime stuff~~!  I guess you have just figured out I never watch TV or go to movies... I will do that when I'm too Old to get around. That is why I did not recognize her... [:D]