• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Snack Stix

Started by NePaSmoKer, November 26, 2008, 07:33:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NePaSmoKer

Doing some snack stix today. 5 lbs.

This is 2.5 lbs stuffed and hanging.

Hanging.

Have the other 2.5 lbs a different flavor.

nepas

NePaSmoKer

3.5 hours yet to go. But they sure do look good now  ;D

nepas

Mr Walleye

NePas

Are those collagen casings?   21mm?

I notice in the picture you just twist the ends, I've always tied them which takes time especially on snack stixs.

I have used collagen casings in the past but I've never been happy with the finish on them. They seem to not shrink at the same rate as the meat itself or something and they also seem to be tough. Maybe it's just the brand I'm buying or something but I just was curious about your thoughts on it.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

NePaSmoKer

Mike

Those are 19mm collagen casings. I pull 3 to 4" of the case from the end of the tube, twist tight and poke a small hole (pin sz) by the twist. I did have to use some twine on a couple to hand em. In the mix i added dry powder milk to reduce shrinking and i dont wet them after smoking, i just let them air cool. I started them at 140* for an hour vent open full no smoke. Then 2 hrs vent 1/4 closed at 140*. Again for 2 hrs at 150* vent 1/4 closed. The final 2 hrs at 180* no smoke vent same. Also there is no water in the pan.

nepas

Mr Walleye

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on November 26, 2008, 11:15:46 AM
Mike

Those are 19mm collagen casings. I pull 3 to 4" of the case from the end of the tube, twist tight and poke a small hole (pin sz) by the twist. I did have to use some twine on a couple to hand em. In the mix i added dry powder milk to reduce shrinking and i dont wet them after smoking, i just let them air cool. I started them at 140* for an hour vent open full no smoke. Then 2 hrs vent 1/4 closed at 140*. Again for 2 hrs at 150* vent 1/4 closed. The final 2 hrs at 180* no smoke vent same. Also there is no water in the pan.

nepas

Nepas

If I understand correctly you twist the end, then poke a pin sized hole through the twisted portion. I'm assuming the hole helps to stop the casing from unraveling?

I also use powdered milk as a binder and to stop shrinkage although I do shower with cold water. I wonder if it is the cold shower that causes the collagen casings to be tough? I also let them hang in the smoker at 130 degrees for the first hour or two with no smoke. So far, using collagen casings I have just not been happy with them.

Mike

NePaSmoKer

When you twist the case poke a hole just in front of the twist where the mix will hit the twist. If you turn the bs off and just crack the door let them cool that way. If you fat them out they get greasy.

The cabelas collagen 19mm casings are pretty good.

nepas

Mr Walleye

Thanks NePas... obviously I need to try some collagen casings from another manufacturer and give them another shot.

Thanks again

Mike

NePaSmoKer

I knew i was forgetting something.......not enough powdered milk so they shruk up some..... No biggie its all good  ;D

nepas

Smoking Duck

If you're not happy with them, Nepas, I'd happily take one for the team and take them off your hands.  ;) I used to do sausage and snack sticks all the time in an old smoker but haven't tried them yet in the Bradley.  I really gotta give these a try!  They look great!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Buck36

The sticks look great. What kind of meat did you use?

I appreciate the talk about the collagen casings. I have been buying them from Butcher & Packer, they seem to have a funny taste and are tough. I may have given up on them too soon and should try a different vendor.

NePaSmoKer

TY everyone

Buck

I think the collagen is just the nature of the game as far as taste and all. I have searched high and low for the casings the big guys use (slim jim folks) and i just cant find em.

nepas