• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

2 Problems with 4-Rack Digital Smoker

Started by AzJazz, November 26, 2008, 07:38:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AzJazz

I love to use my Bradley, but I have had a couple problems. Hopefully, one of the wizards out there can help!

1) My puck feeder doesn't seem to be working as well anymore. (Pucks 'R Stuck!) I think the problem is that previous smoking sessions ar causing some sort of buildup on the track. If so, what should I clean the track with?

2) This is my main concern: During smoking, I have a lot of moisture build up, and a dark black liquid drips off the door onto the concrete below. This is causing my concrete patio to get permanently stained when smoking. What can I do to keep the liquid off the concrete?

Thanks ....

AzJazz

NePaSmoKer

First never close the vent all the way. Leave it open at least 1/4 way. A fully closed vent will make moisture

Check the wood tube and make sure its not resting on top of the pusher or pucks. Moisture could have backed up into the smoke generator and made it goopy inside causing the pusher to bind.
Make shure there is no residue on the slider, if so scotch brite pad will wipe it off, mild wet with just water.

hope this helps some

nepas

beefmann

Azjazz,

Welcome to the forum...

as for the puck advance if it  is  sticking try  steaam cleaning it,,, if that  doesent work try pressing the advance button and unplug the unit.. then plug it back in...

Beefmann

KyNola

NePaS is dead on with the vent issue.  The vent is the key to the moisture buildup.  I never have my vent less than half open.  If I am smoking poultry I open the vent all the way as poultry holds a lot of moisture.  My concrete floor on my screened in porch has the evidence that I learned this the hard way too!  The vent being closed down too much can also lead to smoke backing up in the generator and causing everything to "gum up" as NePaS stated.

KyNola

Smoking Duck

Hi Azjazz,

The vent is key in the buildup.  I have an old rubberbacked floor rug underneath mine (mine sits on my wooden porch) and that seems to help out quite a bit although my problem is more spilling stuff than back up because of the vent.  I had a buildup on my puck advance tray as well and I simply scrape off with a razor blade.  I try to take my smoke generator apart about 2-3 times per year and blow out any wood that may have fallen into the smoke generator and then scrape off any residue on the puck advance.  Hope that helps.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Habanero Smoker

Isopropyl at least 90% by volume or wood alcohol will also easily remove residue. Just make sure are parts are cool, and the unit is unplugged.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 26, 2008, 02:02:43 PM
Isopropyl at least 90% by volume or wood alcohol will also easily remove residue. Just make sure are parts are cool, and the unit is unplugged.

This is as important as washing your hands before you go to the bathroom when you're cutting jalapenos. :o 

Have you ever tried denatured alcohol when doing this Habs?

Habanero Smoker

Use to use denatured and highly recommend it, but Isopropyl is easier for me to obtain.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

jbollier

I learned the hard way also but not before I had so much moisture back up into the digital unit that I ruined it but Cabalos replaced it. Great advice you are getting here, I took the advice on the vent ahd have never had a problem afterward. With the vent fully closed the puck track gets extreamlly hot and causes the pucks to gum up the track.That black stuff in the floor is a real bit-h to clean up.

Smoking Duck

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on November 26, 2008, 02:11:57 PM
Use to use denatured and highly recommend it, but Isopropyl is easier for me to obtain.

Thanks Habs.  I've got about a gallon of denatured alcohol I use to build carbon arrows.  I'll have to give it a try the next time I clean the SG.

SD

AzJazz

Thanks for all the good advice (as usual!)

I opened up my vent more this time, and didn't see any drippage. I do have a heavy cleaning job ahead for the puck mechanism (though the Scotch-Brite pads helped a lot).

Since we're on a "cleaning topic", is there any way to easily clean up all the messy black "chunks" that have super-glued themselves to the drip tray & racks after a smoking session? Will the Isopropyl alcohol do the trick?

Mr Walleye

AJ

For the racks and V-pan I just let them soak in hot soapy water for 1/2 to 1 hour then scrub them off with a plastic scotchbrite pad. On occasion I will use oven cleaner on the V-pan if it's got some really burnt of chunks but usually the soaking is enough.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

KyNola

AJ,
I'm with Mike on this one although I have never had to use oven cleaner.  Soaked in hot soapy water does the trick for me. 

KyNola

Smoking Duck

I usually do the same, although I often let them soak over night.  If I do that, most times the stuff comes off just running it underneath the shower portion of the sink.  Then I rub em a little if needed and then into the dishwasher.  Works like a charm most times.

SD

FLBentRider

Same here..

Soak in hot soapy water, scrub, dishwasher...

Tried PAM on it before smoking..... made a sticky pam-smoke mess.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!