• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

smoke generator problem

Started by techsandoc, November 26, 2008, 06:05:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

techsandoc

Long time lurker, first time poster.  I really appreciate all of the advise you guys give.  This has become an addictive hobby. 

When smoking a Thanksgiving turkey today for my friend, the generator only produces about 1/2 the usual amount of smoke and the pucks are only burned about a 3rd of the way through.  Anyone have any suggestions?  I am using a digital 4 rack.  Thanks in advance. 

Smoking Duck

Just off the top of my head I would guess that maybe the cycle timing is off.  Do a search on here (not sure which forum, so search all) for this issue and there should be plenty of info to help you out.  If you can't find anything, I'm sure someone with a more technical mind than mine will be around soon.

Welcome to the forum, techsandoc.  Hope you get it figured out.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Gizmo

How long did you preheat the puck burner?
What temperature was the oven set to?
What temperature was the box?
Is there a bunch of residue built up on the burner surface?
How cold is it outside?
The puck burner only gets hot enough to make the pucks smolder so there are a few factors that can affect its performance.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

techsandoc

1.  preheated the puck burner for about 20 minutes
2.  I have my smoke generator going into a cold smoke box and then a dryer vent tube going to the cooker.  It has been this way for awhile without any issues.
3.  Box is at 220
4.  Didn't see any residue but didn't look real close.  As soon as the turkey gets done and the burner cools off, I will take a look.
5.  73 degrees outside.  You have to love central Texas.

Smoking Duck

Oh, man....please tell me you didn't use mesquite on the bird.........................please?

Hee Hee.

SD

pensrock

Last time I was getting unburned pucks it was a build up on the puck burner. Cleaned with a scotchbright, made sure to preheat for a good 20 minutes and it worked fine.

QuoteOh, man....please tell me you didn't use mesquite on the bird.........................please?

Hee Hee.

SD

;D ;D

techsandoc

Quote from: Smoking Duck on November 26, 2008, 06:15:42 PM
Oh, man....please tell me you didn't use mesquite on the bird.........................please?

Hee Hee.

SD

I did not use mesquite but I am partial.  I am trying the Jim Beam pucks.  That's one of the reasons I hate to see them half burnt. 

I am guessing the problem is probably buildup.  I will try cleaning it out in the morning before I do our birds.

You guys are great.  I probably won't have a lot to offer the board from an veteran standpoint but I do have quite a bit of experience with what NOT to do. 

Smoking Duck

Thank God you didn't use mesquite......a Texan who can show some restraint is a beautiful thing  ;)

Seriously though, don't worry about what you can offer to the board......we all bring a little different something to the party and it makes for a heck of a time.

Me?  I simply bring my good looks :o ;D........I can't smoke worth a dern and my mind is a complete blank when it comes to most technical issues but the folks here welcome anyone.  I have a saying that goes:  If you smoke food, your a friend of mine.  So welcome again!  I'm sure WTS and some of the other Texans will make sure you fit right in.

SD

Gizmo

I have seen the same (some pucks not burning completely through) on cold smokes.  I believe it is because the burner tolerance is so tight that the cold smoke setup leaves it just a little shy to get the job done.  When in the box, the extra heat from the box helps it burn completely.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

beefmann

Tech,

three things i can think of

1) dirty puck burner ( clean burner )
2) timer advancing improperly ( press the advance button and unplug unit .. then plug back in )
3) weak heating  element or not proper voltage... try moving  closer to wall recptical or  check voltage to unit it  sould be 115 to 120

Habanero Smoker

Hi techsandoc;

Welcome to the forum. As SD stated everyone has something to bring and share.

You may want to take a look at the links below. They will help you answer some questionst and there are plenty of recipes.

Bradley Smoker FAQ's
Recipes

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)