What flav to start with?

Started by Dex, November 28, 2008, 06:34:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex

I'm going to pick up my stainless smoker today! I will also stop buy to pick up a pack of pucks. What flovor do you suggest? And does it matter what flavor to season it with?

manxman

Doesn't matter which flavour you season with, I got a mixed pack free with my smoker and just used the ones I didn't think I would use on food. (mesquitte!!!  ::)) 

With regards to which pucks to use when smoking food it depends partly on what you plan on smoking but for me oak and apple are good general purpose flavours.

Other will chip in with different preferences!  ;) :D
Manxman

beefmann

Dex,

I would buy a 12 pack of  each flavor and  see whick one you  like the  best ... and it  doesent  matter  what chip you  use to season the box with..

Enjoy

FLBentRider

I would pick up the variety pack.

I don't think it matters what you season with.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Dex

Thanks guys, Ill pick up the variety pack. I hope Gander Mountain has it. If not I'll get it online

KyNola

Dex,
My favorite "go to" flavors for smoking are hickory and apple.  I use hickory for "heavier" meats like pork and beef and apple for "lighter" meats like poultry.  I also use apple for belly and canadian bacon.  I use alder exclusively for seafood, salmon, shrimp, etc.

You'll get the hang of it and figure out the combo you like best.  To me, that's the fun part and gives you plenty of excuses to be smoking!

KyNola

pensrock

I agree with Kynola. I also use mainly apple for cheese and ocassionally hickory.

Smoking Duck

The key to flavor of woods is your (and your significant others') palattes.  Try 'em all and let your tastes decide.  But, for the love of God, please don't use mesquite on fish or chicken!  I beg of you.......save yourselves........... Awwww, what the heck, give em all a try and then you decide.  Have fun while you're doing it as well.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Consiglieri

The wood I use most frequently is apple.  I also like to use maple, pecan, and hickory.  I have a bunch of cherry bisquettes, but don't seem to use them except when I'm doing pork loin or tenderloin. 

On occasions when my meds aren't working too well, I've been known to use a bit of mesquite (sparingly) when cooking brisket.   ;D
Consiglieri

LilSmoker

Hi Dex, i like to most of the woods, and like to experiment, i'm getting a real liking to pecan lately, but imo the allrounder is oak, oak will marry up to most stuff when smoking  ;)

LilSmoker
<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

JNB

Quote from: Smoking Duck on November 28, 2008, 07:28:13 AMBut, for the love of God, please don't use mesquite on fish or chicken!  I beg of you.......save yourselves...........

I resemble that remark!   ;D

Mesquite is the Wood of the Gods!  And since you can't smoke bread, you just make it with mesquite flour.  Cookies, too!  Yum!

I've been using mesquite exclusively for over 35 years now, with nary a complaint, and many a satisfied diner (both human and feline) on pretty much anything.  Well, I haven't tried tripe yet.   :o

Maybe that's why I'm going to a BS - it makes using other woods sooo much easier to play with! Alder, Apple, Maple, and the two new ones (Crown Royal and Jim Beam) are at the top of my list.

Smokin Soon

Welcome to the forum JNB, you are gonna have a new buddy on the forum, he will be here shortly with some mesquite talk  ;D

scotts87

I'm a newbie smoker (just got my Bradley Original last week), and all they had at the store I purchased from was Mesquite and Cherry. My first smoke was Baby Back Ribs, and I used Mesquite. Now they did turn out pretty good, but when it comes to Mesquite, definitely moderation is key....less is more. Being so enthusiastic on my first smoke, I ended up putting about 4.5 hours worth of pucks in the smoker, and it ended up being a bit much.  :-\