Angus Chuck Roast

Started by Smoking Duck, November 28, 2008, 01:51:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

Prepping a 4 lb. Angus Chuck Roast for smoking tomorrow.  Gonna do them with Syracus Salted Potatoes for my folks who came into town today.

First, the roast with minced garlic and EVOO:

Then with a simple rub of brown sugar, white pepper, sea salt, onion powder and just a pinch of cayenne:

Gonna hit with 5 hours of hickory and maple.  Doing it at 210F for the duration of the smoke.

Will post follow up pics

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

beefmann

looking  good  SD

looks like  you are cooking  like I  do

Smoking Duck

Drew my inspiration from your posts, beefman!

Consiglieri

Can't wait to see the finished product.   :o
Consiglieri

Smoking Duck

I'll post the pics when done, Sigs.  And just to show you I'm the kind of guy who's willing to go the extra mile, I'll even taste it for you  ;D

Smoking Duck

So after resting in the refer overnight, the roast is in the smoker with 5:20 of oak at 205F

ollavac_j

Hey SD, is that the Maverick meat guage sticking out of your meat?  Looks yummy :)

FLBentRider

I see the Maverick Et-73 Meat probe, the ET-73 Smoker probe, and I assume the other wire is the temp sensor for the PID.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

John, FLBR has it down.  The probe into the meat is the ET-73 meat probe, the smoker temp probe and the yellow one is the probe for the PID.  It makes it so easy that even a nimrod like me can smoke anything  ;)

SD

KyNola

SD,
5 hours of smoke? :o You have really stepped up your appreciation for the smoke flavor.  Be sure and give us a follow up report if you can get off the couch after that good looking piece of beef. :) Looks like your folks are in for a great meal.  Making my mouth water.

John, you really need to get the Maverick ET-73!

KyNola

Smoking Duck

It's almost done now, KY!  The meat is at 151 and I'm gonna pull at 155 and FTC while I make the Syracuse Salted potatoes.  I'll be sure to take pics of the meat when finished...... you can even have first peek  ;D  I thought serious about the 5 hours but then figured, what the heck....I ain't using mesquite, so it should be good  ;) ;D

SD

ollavac_j

SD, how do you figure out that it should take about five hours to cook that slab?  Are you basing that off of a recipe, experience or a combination of both?

John

Smoking Duck

John,

It took longer than 5 hours to cook (about 6.5 hours).  The 5 hours was the time of smoke I put on it.  Normally, I only go to a max of 4 hours of smoke, but had 3 extra pucks lying around and wanted to clean out the cabinet, so I threw an extra hour of smoke on it.  Couldn't tell a difference between 4 and 5 hours though.  I utilize experience when guesstimating time, but realize that even though I may have 2 roasts that weigh the same, they could and usually do have different cook times.  I just let the meat tell me when it's done. 

SD

Dex

SD - Thinking about doing something like this on Saturday. Any tips? How did it turn out? Tender?

Smoking Duck

Absolutely tender, Dex.  It came to IT much quicker than I anticipated, but that's okay, with FTC, it was no problem at all.  Just remember to keep it low (I recommend 200-205F).  I recommend filling the water bowl with rootbeer or half-rootbeer/half water.  I really liked the sweetness it provided in combination with the smoke.  Might also want to spritz it every now and then with rootbeer as well although it was tender as is.  Be sure to let me know how it comes out!

SS