A little help as I'm out to touch.

Started by Oldman, December 07, 2008, 07:46:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldman

Hey all I guess I should have stayed up with the times, but I have not.

I need to soon replace 2 TV sets. I see there are two types offered in my area:LCD and Plasma. I would like your opinion on which type get.

Thanks
Olds

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

Tenpoint5

LCD is the in thing.

But if your current TV is hooked up to cable or Sat you wont be affected with the switch over. But the old 12 inch you have on the counter with the rabbit ears on it to get the news while eating supper its a croppie.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

3rensho

Plasma TV's use a LOT of power compared to an LCD.  They have an slight edge in high ambient light situations but otherwise I'd go with LCD.
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

pensrock

deb415611

I did some research when we were buying ours last year.  We settled on LCD but I can't remember details of why.  We were looking at 46" and last year consumer reports top pics in that size range were samsung, sony & then sharp.  We went to a bunch of stores until we were able to see them side by side.  We settled on the sony - we liked the looks of the picture plus liked it better cosmetic wise - the frame(?) is a little sleeker looking than the samsung.  Sony had three levels & we bought the mid one -  W series (I think).  We are very happy with it & have not had any problems.  

NePaSmoKer

Mr Walleye

Olds

You may want to try and get hold of the Consumers Report Magazine article (Dec/08 I think) they did a month or so back. I can't remember all the details but if I remember correctly  ??? ... If you are a "gamer" the plasmas are faster for high action... The Plasmas use more power... Also I believe the LCDs are better if it's on a main floor with windows reflecting in the back ground... On the other hand the Plasmas have better viewing angles... Then you get into the resolution... 720p or 1080p... 1080p being the better. Then it's the 120 Hz advance rate... Then the number of HDMI input/outputs...

Ok ok.... Now I'm confused again... Man!... Ya can't even but friggin' tv "easily" anymore!  ::)

Good luck with your mission Olds.... should you choose to accept it!  :D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smoking Duck

If it's my dime, I probably go with the LCD.  But as Mike has stated, if you're a gamer, plasma it should be.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Wildcat

I play games as well.  After a lot of research, we went with a Phillips LCD 1080p.  Real nice.  Once a month I check there web site to download any updates that may be available.  You can download the updates to a flash drive and then transfer it to the TV.  Great TV.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

hillbillysmoker

52" Sony lcd here and we love it. Plasma used to have the prefered picture, but the LCD's have caught up and with the LCD you don't have to worry about screen burn in. Although the new plasmas move the picture slightly to avoid this.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

I went with LCD about 22 months ago. I was in Best Buy and couldn't see any difference in quality, and the viewing angle seemed to be better on the HP LCD. The main reason for picking LCD over plasma was that the plasma screens hadn't been out that long, so I deferred to something that had been tested over time.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Oldman

Click On The Portal To Be Transported To Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes~~!!! 

westexasmoker

We run a 42 inch Toshiba LCD, and could'nt be happier, plan on moving to a 60 when the pennies are saved up!  The most important part I see is making sure you have enough HDMI (in) ports the picture quality is amazing compared to composite!  But I have friends that have plasma and are quite happy with the picture quality.  We've since hooked up a PC to the TV and with Netflix can download a movie in a heartbeat to watch which is really cool.....gotta get a better video/audio card though.  Really I don't think you can go wrong either way......I will say a shamless plug for Toshiba, we bought our first tv when we got married 22 years ago and that thing is still a kicking and for a tube tv the picture is still amazing!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smoking Duck

Quote from: westexasmoker on December 07, 2008, 04:26:27 PM
we got married 22 years ago and that thing is still a kicking

C

My wife wishes mine wasn't :o ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra