cold smoke turkey time

Started by Brew, December 07, 2008, 11:54:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brew

First timer and looking to cold smoke a turkey.  Its around 13 lbs.  Wanted to get an idea on how long I should smoke it for. I've been looking on the posts and have a pretty good idea how its done just not how long to have it in.  I am thinking of using pecan.  Any thoughts?

Habanero Smoker

Hi Brew;
Welcome to the forum.

The amount of smoke depends on your personal taste. For turkey, in the past I used 3 hours of smoke, but I've cut it down to 2:00 - 2:40 hours. For cold smoking, you should move the turkey directly from the refrigerator to the smoker, and keep the smoker below 90°F; 80°F would be better; and I wouldn't go beyound 3 hours.

I'm assuming you are using the cold smoke setup. Make sure you preheat the generator for at least 20 minutes prior to adding the bisquettes. If you are not using the cold smoke setup, then before you load the turkey open the door and let any excess heat to escape, you might want to place a bowl of ice in the cabinet, and leave the vent wide open.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Jax Fl Johnny

I smoked my turkey for 3hrs with apple, brined it first, used the ice in bottom of smoker method. After smoking Deep Fryed it. WOW was it good. Skin tasted like bacon. Friends went crazy over it.  :)
Johnny C

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Jax Fl Johnny on December 07, 2008, 09:44:13 PM
I smoked my turkey for 3hrs with apple, brined it first, used the ice in bottom of smoker method. After smoking Deep Fryed it. WOW was it good. Skin tasted like bacon. Friends went crazy over it.  :)

That does sound good.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Brew

sounds good, kinda as I thought.....this may get crazy but i've heard both camps about brining or just salting....if just salting do you use regular table salt or larger kosher salt and spices?  How soon before do you smoke that you remove the salt or do you?  My son in law is back from his third tour in Iraq for two weeks leave and he wants a turkey dinner so any and all help would be appreciated.

thanks!
Brew

Habanero Smoker

There is a recent thread on salt brining. Just salting is brining also, and referred to as dry brining.

I've done this on smaller birds such as chickens, and chicken/turkey parts, but not a whole turkey. CI has test dry brined on a whole turkey with good results.

I use the Cook's Illustrated method, but this requires a little more work, because they recommend applying it under the skin - directly to to the meat. Apply about 1.25 teaspoons Morton's kosher salt per pound for bone in poultry (though after measuring out the salt I do apply a little heavier on the thicker parts). I've read kosher salt it better for dry brining because of the way it dissolves. If you use table salt I would reduce it to about 3/4 teaspoon per pound.

As stated above apply salt directly to the meat, and do not apply any in the cavity.

Under refrigeration, brine no less then 6 hours, but no more then 24 hours. Less then six hours the salt only drawn the moisture out for about the first 3 hours. Over 24 hours the salt will begin to break down the interior muscle fibers and the meat will cook up mushy.

If you use the correct amount of salt, there will not be any to remove. But if there is some residue salt crystals a quick rinse is all that is needed.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Habanero Smoker

Brew;

I found further instructions on CI's method of dry brining a turkey. It is different from chicken and parts.

1. Carefully separate turkey skin from meat on breast, legs, thighs, and back; avoid breaking skin. Following illustrations 2 through 4, rub 2 tablespoons salt evenly inside cavity of turkey, 1 tablespoon salt under skin of each breast half, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt under skin of each leg. Wrap turkey tightly with plastic wrap; refrigerate 24 to 48 hours.

2. Remove turkey from refrigerator. Following illustrations 5 and 6, rinse off excess salt between meat and skin and in cavity, then pat dry inside and out with paper towels.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Father Tom

Just did a 14#.  Wet brined in 2 1/2 gal zip lock bag for 48 hrs.  washed and dried in refrigerator 24 hours.  Put in 80 degree F with ice in bowl.  smoked with Pecan for 5 hourss then raised temperature to 180 degrees F.  Start checking temperaature of bird after an additional 7 hours or until temperature reaches 155 degrees F.  Excellent..................................

Tom.