What type of roast?

Started by Smoking Duck, December 08, 2008, 05:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

Hey all,

I decided to smoke a roast for Christmas Eve dinner.  Gonna need about a 8-9 lber.  Would like to do it like WTS did by cutting a pocket and stuffing the pocket with minced garlic and onion.  If you were looking for a beef roast in that size range, what would you recommend?

Thanks!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

La Quinta

Geez Giggles...I think WTS or other Texans (who I consider beef experts frankly) can tell you more then me. We do lamb. WE are leg o lamb for Christmas...stuffed with garlic and marinated in balsamic, olive oil, s&p and fresh rosemary for at leat 24 hours. Try to get bone in unless it's too pricey.

Smokin Soon

I think I'm with LQ on Lamb for x-mas. Went to Costco today and the beef prices are off the scale. Never have done a lamb before, so I will probably seek help.

beefmann

BEEF   BEEF   BEEF! ! !...

id do a top surlion covered in olive garlic... covered with brown sugar... then  with your  favorite rub.. have done  15 lbers this way and ays good.. always good .. though it took 18  hours

La Quinta

I have to admit...for Holidays...I gotta go back to my childhood...even as an old bag that I am....I don't smoke for these occasions. I roast the turkey at Thanksgiving...and I roast a Leg of lamb at Christmas. Guess that could be sacralidge on a smoker forum...but...I am what I am.!!!  ;D

Please feel free to disagree!!!  ::)

pensrock

I always hear of people eating lamb. I have done a lot of traveling but never had the chance to try it for myself.  ???
I did have baby goat in Mexico one time and it was really good.  :)

Smoking Duck

Thanks all, I've got to do something that will help feed 15 people.  There will be a small ham there as well.  They're all big eaters so that's why I figured beef.  Just not sure what type of roast to go with.  Do you think one leg of lamb would be enough?

Habanero Smoker

I smoke top loin, that is the roast that NY Strip steaks come from, but it's pricey. With that type of meat you don't want to stuff it, just want a nice flavorful rub.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

HCT

Geez La Quinta, the way you described that lamb I can smell it all the way over here in Ct., already!!! :D :D :D
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

Smoking Duck

Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 09, 2008, 02:22:13 PM
I smoke top loin, that is the roast that NY Strip steaks come from, but it's pricey. With that type of meat you don't want to stuff it, just want a nice flavorful rub.

What type of rub do you recommend Habs?

La Quinta

Why thank you HCT...it is as easy can get...I am a big Holiday "smell" person! Aromas from a real tree...lamb raosting in the oven...I can't help it...I'm a holiday wimp...(by the way...I must watch Miracle on 34th Street, It's a Wonderful Life and Rudolf...) I am a purist when it comes down to it...simple Holiday things I grew up with....makes ya feel kinda comfy...

I know...guys don't do comfy...and Bob has an issue with the movies...but he likes the lamb!!!  ;D

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Smoking Duck on December 09, 2008, 03:11:25 PM
Quote from: Habanero Smoker on December 09, 2008, 02:22:13 PM

What type of rub do you recommend Habs?

The cut is kind of expensive, but I believe it is worth it. The last time I was in Sam's it was $9.00/lb bone in. If you get bone in you need to bone it, because the recipe calls for boneless. I find a lot of meat cutters behind the counter will get this cut confused with Top Sirloin, but they are two different cuts of meat. Make sure the person behind the counter knows you want the roast that NY Strip steaks are cut from.

I used a recipe from Cuisine Magazine, and adapted it for the smoker. If you are not a fan of rosemary, reduce the rosemary to 1/2 tablespoon, and add 1 teaspoon of dried sage (don't over do it with the sage). Granulated garlic (or garlic powder) works better in the recipe, because it is less likely to burn. This cut is best cooked to medium rare 135­°F, or medium 140°F. Don't be worried about trimming all the fat and silver skin, the roast will still be moist.

The most critical step is finishing in a hot oven. You need to monitor it closely so the crust does not burn. For your fist time you should use an oven temperature of 375°F. Also by using the 375°F temperature it is safer to use the fresh garlic. It will take a little longer to get up to 130°F, but it is safer and the crust should still develop. I'm not sure how much longer it will need in the oven, but I don't think it should be more then 30 minutes. The egg white is essential for developing the crust.

Smoked Top Loin with Garlic-Herb Crust

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Smoking Duck

That looks perfect, Habs.  Just one question:  It's gonna be about 2 hour drive from my place to where the food will be served.  Will this take FTC for a couple of hours without affecting it?  I would think it would be wasn't 100% sure.  I'm not paying for the meat; I'm just the one that has to prepare it.  I'm not sure price really matters (although I do want to control it since it's not my money but would like to do something really good for them).

Thanks as always, Habs!

Sd

Habanero Smoker

I'm not a big fan of FTC'ing anything but tough cuts of meat, and I rarely do that. If you have to transport for two hours, and factoring in time it will actually get served, then it would be the best way to go. You will lose the crunch of the crust, but that is a small factor. I would not add any liquid prior to wrapping it up in foil. The carry over will be higher so you may want to take the top loin out of the oven at least 8°F before it hits the internal temperature.

I know you are not paying for this, but if you are purchasing it; I would ask the person to trim the fat as they do for NY Strip; but make sure he doesn't start cutting it into steaks :). In my area they charge the same price for the roast and steak, and they trim the steaks. Then I feel they should trim my roast.

I
         don't
                   inhale.

Smoking Duck

Thanks Habs, I appreciate it!

SD