• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

New OBS user

Started by Bullitt08, December 08, 2008, 07:04:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bullitt08

After spending all night the day before Thanksgiving, getting up every 2-3 hours to tend to my charcoal smoker, I decided to purchase a new smoker. The criteria I set was ease of use and minimal attention during smoking. After several days of research, including this very helpful forum, I decided on the OBS. I purchased the unit last Saturday. However, due to work schedule I have not used it yet. I plan to do so this week. I do have a couple of questions.
1. Is it okay to close the vent (if needed) after the smoking is finished?
2. I have read several reviews of the Maverick ET-73 thermometer. Some of these are less than flattering. Others have highly praised this product. What has been some of your experiences with this product and is it worth purchasing.
Thanks for your help and I am looking with great anticipation to my first smoke.       

Bullitt08
Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.

KyNola

Bullitt,
First and foremost, welcome to the forum.  You will love your OBS!  I will yield to the experts about closing the vent after the smoking period but my experience is leave it open.  There is a chance that moisture from the meat can still condensate in the tower, run down the walls and out the door of your OBS onto the floor that your smoker is sitting on(spouse will not be happy) or worse yet drip onto your food.(spouse will be VERY unhappy)  As for the Maverick ET-73, I am nothing but happy with the performance.  Should you choose to purchase one, don't submerge the probes in water.  You will ruin them.  Rather keep the end where the cable runs into the probes dry.  You can wash the rest of the probe with a sponge, scrubber, etc.  Just don't let water get to the cable end of the probes.

I will yield to the guys who have been doing it much much longer than me.  Let us know what your first smoke will be and how it turns out!

KyNola

Mr Walleye

Hi Bullitt08 and welcome to the forum.

I can't add anything more as KyNola has you hooked up on both your questions. Keep us posted on your smokin' projects!  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Bullitt08

Thanks for the information on the vent and the ET-73. My wife loves roast, so my first smoke is going to be the chuck roast she just purchased with a dry rub. I will let you know how it turns out.

Bullitt

Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving.

beefmann

bullit,

welcome to the forum, Ky has set you stright smoking with vent closed is the wrong thing to do.. moisture is the biggest problem like ky has stated, also during the cooking the moisture can build up and affect the meal best to leave 1/4 open while others state diffenent its all on personal preferance and taste

good luck and dont forget to wash all the racks, v tray bowl and the interior of your obs then season it

beefmann

HCT

Welcome Bullit, you're gonna love this place.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"

sherlock

Welcome to our world
Now the fun begins  ;D

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum Bullitt08!

The others have ou steered in the the right direction.

Ask plenty of questions.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!