• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

more help please

Started by Up In Smoke, December 13, 2008, 02:20:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Up In Smoke

i am looking for a meat mixer, nothing really big but something that is around the 20 lb range?something that is easy to break down and clean.
i know i ask for a lot of help and one day i hope to be able to contribute, but i am still really green and a little
financially embarassed. did i spell that right?
any help is greatly appreciated.
                                          jerry
2 Bradley OBS
Some people are like Slinkies... They're really good for nothing.
...But they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

Father Tom

This is a place where we can all ask questions as no one knows it all.  The Sausage Maker web site has them as well as Cabela's.com.  Also there is a company in Texas that has all the equipment you will ever need.  I will locate their name and forwared it to you.   Something like  ???? & Packers.  Someone else will give you a lot more shortly.  Just hang in there

Tom

Mr Walleye

Quote from: smokinrookie on December 13, 2008, 02:20:57 PM
i am looking for a meat mixer, nothing really big but something that is around the 20 lb range?something that is easy to break down and clean.
i know i ask for a lot of help and one day i hope to be able to contribute, but i am still really green and a little
financially embarassed. did i spell that right?
any help is greatly appreciated.
                                          jerry

I'm not much help on the mixer as I mix by hand in 20 lb batches. I have done up to 60 lbs at a time but I always mix in 20 lb amounts. I have seen a number of reasonably priced mixers around the net. Hopefully someone will be along with more help.

Oh... Nothing wrong with being "fiscally responsible"  ;)

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

West Coast Sausage Maker

Mr Walleye is right. Why not mix by hand.
I have a mixer, but most of the time I'll just mix by hand. Especially if Im making 20 lbs or less.

I mix 20 lbs of meat in a container that can hold 40! thats the easiest most money and time saving way. IMHO

Mike
soylent green is people

Smoking Duck

Do a search on Ebay for meat grinders; you can find some relatively inexpensive hand powered meat grinders

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Mr Walleye

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

NePaSmoKer

Lots of places have a 20 lb mixer.

cabelas.com

sausagemaker.com (Buffalo NY)

alliedkenco.com  (Houston TX)

lemproducts.com (Ohio)

northerntool.com

I also use the meat tubs mike does. The 20lb mixer works well too  ;D

nepas

NePaSmoKer

Quote from: smokinrookie on December 13, 2008, 02:48:51 PM
when mixing by hand what type of container is best?
i have a small plastic one i used for starter batches (about 2 lbs)
is it safe to stick with plastic?
i am in the process of researching food safety, from the many informative
posts here and my head is spinning in a major way.

Plastic is best, use some food grade safe rubber or latex gloves and make sure the meat is cold. If you have a kitchenaid mixer the paddle works well to mix small batches.

nepas

pensrock

Yep, food grade plastic tubs is what I use also. I mix up to 35 lb batches at one time but the 20 lb batches are easier to handle. I've made sausages for 20+ years and never once used a meat mixer. I have an electric grinder and an antique cast iron 15lb. stuffer. Add a little muscle and away you go.

Smoking Duck

Other than mixing muscle meat for jerky, wouldn't a grinder work better for mixing meat, say for sauage or does the mixer work better?  I've never used a mixer and was just wondering.

Thanks!

SD

NePaSmoKer

When i use my grinder i wrap one of them elastic frozen sports things around the neck of the grinder to keep the heat down so the fat dont start to melt. Same with the kithenaid mixer i put the metal bowl in the fridge before mixing.
The big sausage maker dudes use dry ice in the mix while mixing.

If you use your grinder just go slow, you dont want your meat to turn into an emulsion like hot dog mix.

nepas

Smoking Duck

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 13, 2008, 03:29:42 PM
When i use my grinder i wrap one of them elastic frozen sports things around the neck of the grinder to keep the heat down so the fat dont start to melt. Same with the kithenaid mixer i put the metal bowl in the fridge before mixing.
The big sausage maker dudes use dry ice in the mix while mixing.

If you use your grinder just go slow, you dont want your meat to turn into an emulsion like hot dog mix.

nepas

Great tips, Nepas.  Thanks!

SD

deb415611

Quote from: NePaSmoKer on December 13, 2008, 03:29:42 PM
Same with the kithenaid mixer i put the metal bowl in the fridge before mixing.

nepas

I bet this would work well.   http://www.shopkitchenaid.com/product_detail.asp?HDR=attachments&T1=KTA+KN2WJ

NePaSmoKer

Yeah deb that would work good

nepas

Smokin Soon

I use a metal bowl sitting in one of those plastic meat lugs full of ice. Somone here told me to do that. That way you dont have to rush. Works good, even on a warm day.