New Bradley Smoker user - Need help

Started by AggieBQ72, December 13, 2008, 04:46:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AggieBQ72

Ok, I am a new member of the Bradley Smoker family...well, almost...I have a 4 rack digital electric model on it's way and should arrive the first part of next week.  My wife is a first impression person.  So, I need that first impression to be positive or she will be wondering why I spend $500 for this toy.  Can someone give me what they think is the simplest and best recipie you think will make the first impression positive.  I am open to any and all ideas for that first smoke.

NePaSmoKer

Hi Aggie

Welcome to the family

Chicken is easy for a first timer. I'm sure lots of the other family members will be along shortly and give you more ides.  Enjoy

nepas

Mr Walleye

Hi Aggie and welcome to the forum.

You won't be disappointed! What's your wifes favorite meats? Tons of great recipes floating around the forum. Also if you haven't been to the recipe site just click on the smoker in the bottom of my post. Lots of good stuff there too.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smokin Soon

Welcome to the forum Aggie, I cruised the forum for a month before I got my smoker and it helped alot.  A few people reccomended  Pork Butt or Chicken for a first smoke. I did a pork butt and it was fantastic!!!

Smoking Duck

I'm a big fan of pork butt.  It takes a long time (which I think helps with the cost argument, i.e. if it takes 18 hours to smoke and the toyool cost you $500, your cost per hour really starts to fall) and it's really hard to screw it up.  You can make a bunch of it and the leftovers are just as good if not better than right out of the smoker.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

deb415611

Aggie,

Welcome to the forum.

I recommend pork butt also.  It takes time but is easy.  It's my favorite thing that has come out of my smoker.

Deb

Buck36

I would second what SD and Deb said. A pork butt is classic BBQ and is hard to screw up if you have a thermometer in the meat. The best part is I think you could throw it in the smoker with out doing anything and still get a better product than at a chain restaurant. The rubs hit it out of the park and like Mike said if you go to the recipe site they spell it right out for you.

Here is one example recipe that walks you through it start to finish.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=99#post99

FLBentRider

W E L C O M E  to the Forum AggieBQ72!

Pork butt is where it's at. Simple, hard to break, and darned tasty.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Caneyscud

Aggie, welcome.  A newby myself.  Just got mine a week ago, but have not even been able to open the box yet and now my wife decides she wants to pay for it and give it to me for a Christmas Gift.  Now I won't be able to use it for what another week and a half. - This is killing me. 

Hopefully the Aggie means you went to the best university in the world.  Class of '78 here!
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Consiglieri

First, welcome! I think pulled pork butt will be the easiest.  Here's a link to a thread discussing an "overnight" technique for cooking pork butt (thanks again, Icerat4):

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=4528

Caneyscud: I feel your pain.  That is what happened to my Italian Grill book, but another copy is sitting in a gift bag for my brother in law, so I've been able to browse through the book.   ;D

Good luck!

Cheers,
Consiglieri
Consiglieri

IKnowWood

But also never rull out the "A'nt your Momma's Meatloaf" recipe from Smoke and Spice.  Its what made this the best thing ever.  Sure it takes more effort, but it makes it more of a family endeavor.  I do mop the meatloaf in the bradley.  Got to do it safely.  And finish with iceman BBQ in the last 30 min plus a little extra on the table.  Leftovers a re great also.

Man, I am hungry for it again.
IKnowWood
Coming to you from the DelMarVa (US East Coast that is)

Look up Our Time Tested And Proven recipes

Smoking Duck

Quote from: IKnowWood on December 15, 2008, 07:45:55 AM
But also never rull out the "A'nt your Momma's Meatloaf" recipe from Smoke and Spice.  Its what made this the best thing ever.  Sure it takes more effort, but it makes it more of a family endeavor.  I do mop the meatloaf in the bradley.  Got to do it safely.  And finish with iceman BBQ in the last 30 min plus a little extra on the table.  Leftovers a re great also.

Man, I am hungry for it again.

Was taking a look at that recipe again.  What temp do you use in the Bradley when making this?

Thanks!

SD

Smokin Soon

That meatloaf recipes is one of my favs!! Calls for a box temp of 200 220. I usually substitute Jommy Deans spicey sausage for the ground pork. Worth a try.

Smoking Duck

Thanks SS.  I've got some ground venison thats cut with pork fat that I might have to try this with.  I wonder if I just use 2 pounds of the venison burger if that would be okay?

SD

Smokin Soon

Here's the old post on that. The book is def worth buying.

SMOKE AND SPICE'S "AIN'T YOUR MOMMA'S MEATLOAF" I give them 100% of the credit.  Here is the recipe.  I used pecan and have used maple, but I am spoiled and can't get away from either of these.
I used an aluminum cheapo throw away pan to start it in and then just cut the end on each side, fold down the end and slide the meatloaf onto the jerky racks so that I don't worry it will break apart because of its own weight.  Just the way I do it, you can experiment!!
I don't saute my onions and the other things they say to do. I am lazy and it tastes fine to me.  But, just in case you have to follow to a T, take a T of veg. oil and saute all the ingredients up to the ground beef.
1/2 cup minced onion
1/2 green or red bell pepper finely chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
1 t freshly ground black pepper
1 t coarse salt, either kosher or sea salt
1/2 t ground cumin
1 1/4 pounds of ground beef
1/4 pound of ground pork
1 1/2 cups dry bread crumbs
3 T sour cream
2 T Worcestershire sauce
1 large egg
1/4 cup stock, preferably beef
1 t Tabasco or other hot pepper sauce to taste

Put smoker to 200 degrees. Mix everything together and make into a mound and put into a smoke-proof pan.  Smoke it for about 45 minutes (I think this is to firm it up so it won't break apart on a rack) and then transfer it to your rack and then cook it for another 1 1/2.  
Now, I never get off that easy with the time, so, I just put the probe in it and cooked until it was between 160-165 degrees.  AND, because I hate food poisoning, I probe it several different places before I pull it out.
I do a rack of bacon above it to keep it moist.  Your preference though.
Allow it to sit for 10 minutes before slicing.
They say to apply the bbq sauce with 30 minutes left to go on top of the meat loaf.  I DIDN'T do that with either of the loaves I did and they were fantastic.  I guess I didn't read that far down.
Have at it boys!!

Duck, for veinison, ya gotta use the pork or sausage and up the quantity a bit co compinsate for the leaner venison.