• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Smoking in Winter

Started by subman2, December 17, 2008, 10:38:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

subman2

Now that I have spent about 4 hours reading the forum trying to decide if I am going to buy the 6 rack digital, one nagging issue remains...temperature achievability.  I live on Long Island New York where the winters get pretty cold.  I will be smoking (obviously) outdoors and would probably move the smoker into my screened room (not heated) like I do my BBQ for the winter. I have 2 small kettle water smokers (cheapies) but can not use them at all past October as I can't keep the heat up. Anyone have experience with this smoker and winter temps?  Thanks...Subman2

Smoking Duck

Don't have the 6 rack but do have the 4 rack.  Smoked yesterday in single digits with heavy winds and blowing snow on a covered (but not enclosed) porch.  I had no problem getting the smoker to temp and keeping it there.  It takes a little while to recover, but I give it a hearty thumbs up.  Smoking year round is not a problem with the Bradley.  Check out YardandPool.com.  Bryan and the gang will set you up real good there.  Tiny Tim also sells them and he's real good to deal with also.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Wildcat

Does not get tooooo cold here in FL but we have several members from Alaska and Canada on this forum that seem to smoke all year.
Life is short. Smile while you still have teeth.

CLICK HERE for Recipe Site:  http://www.susanminor.org/

Habanero Smoker

Hi Subman2;

Welcome to the forum.

I live about 100 miles north of you and my ambient temperatures average about 10°F lower then LI, on any given day. I smoke during the winter time, though I will smoke lighter loads. As SD mentioned it will take longer for the smoker to preheat, and recover when you open the door. Many of us place a brick in the bottom of the cabinet to act as a heat sink, and the recovery is faster.

f you get a lot of wind of the ocean, then that will definitely keep the smoker from getting to the set temperature. If you can block if off from the wind you'll be alright.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

stillsmoking

Subman2, I am one of the Alaska guys and have lived amongst the mountains of Colorado and the high desert of Idaho amongst other places.  All I can say is that I have barbecued and smoked year round regardless of where I am at.  Can't let the temps cramp your style my friend!  I find that the lower outside temps are a bonus as far as regulating things before they get too high. Let us all know how things turn out but I think you will do fine as long as you just pay attention to the temps inside the smoker. 

La Quinta

I can't really speak to this topic but...Welcome SubMan2...lots of cold smoking experts on here... :)

pensrock

LQ,
I was expecting you to say......
I smoke all winter long with no problems.  ;D
pens

Smoking Duck

Quote from: pensrock on December 18, 2008, 01:59:24 AM
LQ,
I was expecting you to say......
I smoke all winter long with no problems.  ;D
pens

In the words of Michael Jackson:  Hee Hee  ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

FLBentRider

No Winter problems here. High of 82.2F

;D ;D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

subman2

I want to thank everybody for their responses.  Sounds like it will be good to go.  As soon as I purchase I will keep you posted on my learning curve and I am sure I will have lots of questions.  Thanks again.

P.S. Is their a link to an explanation of all the abbreviations being used in the forum? I found a small one but it did not include several of the ones I tried to look up today.

deb415611

submman2

Did you find this one on the recipe site?

http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showpost.php?p=766&postcount=9

Don't be afraid to ask any that you don't find

Deb

unclebuck

Just new to site.  I live in northern Alberta where our temperatures have been in the -25 to -35C.  Did three racks of pork back ribs and a ham today for the wife's birthday, in new 6 rack digital.  It is an upgrade from a 4 rack Bradley original which we used in winter as well with no temp issues.  Outside temps today were at -27C or -12F.  No temp control problems whatsoever.  Ribs marinated in sundried tomato, basil and extra virgin olive oil, done at 240F for 4 hrs. & smoked with cherry bisquettes for last 2 hrs.  I have a pork loin brining that will become Canadian back bacon Saturday, and a 7 lb. Alberta beef eye of round brining to be smoked & begin drying Jan. 11.   
what can't be smoked can't be eaten

zack

I received a Bradley Original for Christmas and it is good to hear it will work in the cold. I'm in Saskatoon, SK and it's been hovering around -30C for the last couple weeks. Today was nice at -20ish but the near blizzard took some of the fun out of that.

Uncle Buck, do you find the wind has much effect on the smoker? Do you have it in a sheltered area or any special wind break etc?

I'm looking forward to getting some deer in the smoker.

Zack

Mr Walleye

Hi Uncle Buck and Zack... Welcome to the forum from another fellow Canuck.

I feel your pain on the cold weather, I'm in Moose Jaw, SK.

You'll love the forum... lots of great people here. If you guys haven't checked out the recipe site yet just click on the smoker in the bottom of my post. Tons of great recipes from all the people here on the forum.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Gizmo

Welcome Unclebuck and Zack. 
Nice of you to join us.  Looking forward to your adventures in smoke.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/