• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Help, Turkey, Traeger, The Big Easy

Started by Savannahsmoker, December 17, 2008, 03:00:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savannahsmoker

Want to smoke a turkey in the Traeger and finish it off in The Big Easy to crisp the skin up.  Anyone have any ideas.

Smoking Duck

No experience with the Traeger......NepaSmoker may be able to help.  I'd do a hot smoke with it first and then finish off in the Big Easy.  However, I'm not familiar with how the Traeger works enough to tell you how to do it.  We have many here that will smoke in the Bradley and then either finish off in Big Easy or oil.  Sorry I couldn't help you.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Savannahsmoker

O' Smoking Duck you are helping already.  I think most smokers work about the same so if you tell me how you do it in the Bradley that will give me an idea.  I joined this forum because of all the available info and of course the nice people.

Smoking Duck

I would probably smoke it at 250-270 or so for about 2 hours in the Bradley and then transfer it into the Big Easy to finish.  That should crisp up the skin.  My only problem is I'm not sure if the smoke infusion from the Traeger is the same as a Bradley.  When I usually smoke a Turkey in the Bradley, I also drape a butter-soaked cheesecloth over the turkey to help with crisping the skin, but since you'd be finishing in the Big Easy I don't think that would be necessary.  Assuming that the Traeger smokes the same as a Bradley that's how I'd do it.  The amount of smoke you like would depend on how long to smoke it.  Poultry takes on smoke pretty quickly, so be careful it isn't too much if sharing with someone who may not be as smoke-firendly as we are  ;D

Savannahsmoker

Thanks alot Smoking Duck for the info.  I was thinking, probably wrong, about 8 to 10 hours of smoke for a 10 pounder.  Boy would I have messed up.  Have been BBQing for years and have never smoked a turkey.

Smoking Duck

To be sure, I would wait until Nepas or someone else with a Traeger chimes in....I really have no idea how the smoke works in aTraeger.  In a Bradley, you get a greater concentration of smoke in a quicker time than a traditional smoker, hence, 2 hours of smoke.  I'd really hate to steer you in the wrong direction.

SD

Savannahsmoker

But as my Father would tell me, any knowledge is better than no knowledge so your help is greatly accepted.

Smoking Duck

I had to show my wife your post......she doesn't think I can help anyone :D

Smokin Soon

Savannah, do you have that add-on digital thingie on your Treager. From my understanding you can easily do a low temp smoke for a couple of hours at 200 or so and then into the Big Easy. I hink the answer is keep the temp down, roll the smoke.

But if you hang out here, I am sure you will probably end up with a Bradley!!!!!!   ;D  :D

Savannahsmoker

Ha ha, Smoking Soon anyway as far as to much smoke my Sweetie and I like smoky meat as far as anyone whom eats here well they can eat it the way we like or go to Burger King.

Savannahsmoker

Yes Smokin Soon I have the digital temp control and I usually smoke at 190.  I might end up with a Bradley also but I like the versitility of the Traeger.  I do know how well a Bradley works as a friends has one.

NePaSmoKer

Place turkey in large foil roasting pan, add some water about 1" whatever kind of poultry spice you like.
Cover  roaster in foil and cook at 275 degrees until meet temperature reaches 75-80 degrees.
Reduce temperature at 180/190 (smoke), open foil leaving meat 'in the boat', and cook until meat temperature reaches 140. At this time start smoke for 3 hours checking meat IT as to not drop below 140*
Increase temperature to 275, remove meat from foil, and cook until meat temperature reaches 165-170 degrees (Or your Big Easy). 

nepas

Smokin Soon

It's just about havin all the toys, Savannah, we call it cooking equipment, but it's all toys for us. I think a Treager is in my future, and probably a Harley too, once I get out of California. They all have different cooking ability's, except the Harley of course. I can't use the "Boy Toys" thing anymore. I almost got in trouble with that.

If you give the bird at least 2 hours of smoke at 200 or less, I like to mix hickory and maple, sounds weird to most, but I like it. I go longer on the smoke because I really enjoy it, but some may not. I like it when the smoke has a little bit of a bite to it. With a finish in the Big Easy, monitoring temps, there is no possibility of a bad cook.

Savannahsmoker

Thanks NePaSmoKer, how many hours for a small 10 pound bird or how long per pound

Savannahsmoker

I agree on the toys.  Age and a bad back from an aircraft crash prevents me from long ride on the Harley.  Kept my 84 Harley and sold the other two.  Can't hunt anymore but sure as heck can fish.