What is the correct temperature

Started by AggieBQ72, December 19, 2008, 03:22:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AggieBQ72

I received my DBS about 3pm today and set it up without any problem.  I have it curing now with the oven temperature set at 150.  At the present it has been going about 45 minutes and the DBS shows the oven temp to be 92 degrees.  However, the maverick 73 remote is showing 120 degrees.  When I cook food, will I see that same 28degree difference and take that into account when setting oven temp on the DBS? ???

Food cooking will have to wait until tomorrow.  I forgot we had plans for tonight and I need to get cleaned up and get this smoke smell off of me!

Lee

Smokin Soon

Try to get the Maverick sensor as close to the cabinet sensor using the littlle clip that goes on the bottom of the rack and see what you have.

AggieBQ72

Where is the cabinet sensor?  Right now it is still smoking heavily and I have gotten cleaned up to go out tonight so I can't check it tonight.  But tomorrow I can readjust the Maverick sensor probe if you can tell me where the cabinet sensor is located.

Smoking Duck

I would believe the Maverick versus the door thermometer every day and twice on Sunday.  However, when done with the smoke, bring the Mavrick inside and put it in boiling water and see what the temp is in boiling water.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Smokin Soon

Cab sensor is down low in the back. Looks like a button.

Gizmo

For the 4 rack, it is on the back wall right between the 2nd and 3rd rack in the middle.  The built in temperature sensor is O.K. to use with a real light load but since you have the maverick, put the oven probe just under the lowest meat rack close to the center of the oven.  It should give you the best result.  You will see that big of a difference until the overall temperature of the box and the food get closer to each other.  In order to obtain a temperature of 210 degrees in the oven, you will need to preheat to 260 deg or so with the set point at 320 deg.  After loading, keep the set point at 320 until the maverick reads 210 (or what ever is your actual desired oven temp), and then start dropping the set temp by 20 to 10 degrees until the box stabilizes.  I find using the higher set point gets the unit up to temp faster. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Tenpoint5

Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

AggieBQ72

I've had 4 chicken breast wrapped with bacon on since 4pm.  An hour and a half later even with the DBS set temp at 320 the unit is only showing 84 degrees and the maverick is showing 117 degrees.  I'm wondering now if I will even get to eat tonight?   Door has not been opened since I put the food in.  Food temp is only at 84 and I think chicken should be 160-170.

I am getting hungry!

Mr Walleye

Aggie

Two thoughts for you.

The first is make sure your power cord from the generator to the tower is plugged in all the way. Wiggle and jiggle that sucker! When they are new they sometimes seem to have trouble making connection. Confirm that the main element is on by looking at it. It should be red hot.

I also know people when new with the DBS have turned the generator on but not the tower. Make sure you turn both on.

It really sounds like you are running off the generator only.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

AggieBQ72

Mike:

I've wiggled and jiggled all the connections.  I took off the extension cord and move the DBS so that their power cord connects directly.  Outside temp is about 50 degrees.  I'll have to check he heating element later as the minute I open the door all of my heat will be gone.

Mr Walleye

Aggie

After an hour and half if your cabinet temp is only 117 degrees your not going to cook the chicken anyway. Unfortunately, I would would take a peek if your not gaining temp in the tower. Once it's working it will recover.

Did you preheat the tower and if so to what temp?

Also, how big of a load do you have in?

Mike

AggieBQ72

Temp just jumped from 114 to 215 and I turned the set temp down.  Must have either been your suggestion to check the cable connections or removing the extension cord.  We are definately cooking now!

Mr Walleye

Right on Aggie! Your smokin' now!  ;)

Keep us posted.

Mike

AggieBQ72

FINALLY!  It was worth the wait!  I cooked two chicken breast that had been rolled up with cream cheese, green chilli pepers and lipton onion soup mix....similar to another post called sheekin.  I used cherry bricquetts and bacon wrapped the chicken rollups.

Thanks for all the help tonight!