Cold Smoking Ham/Gammon

Started by RFD, December 20, 2008, 09:09:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RFD

I have been given a leg of cured pig, weight 5.4kg and have been asked to cold smoke it using Apple, I use a Bradley Original. Can anyone give me any advice please, times, storage etc.....Thanks

3rensho

If it is fully cured then I'd cold smoke it (cardboard box unit) for three successive days, three hours each and wrapped, in the cooler in between.  It takes a while for the smoke to sink in.

Tom   
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Tenpoint5

RFD I haven't done much of the cold smoking but if it is cured already I would put 3-4 hours of Apple smoke on it. Considering it is roughly a 15lb ham that is cured already. I like alot of smoke flavor on my hams.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

Has it been dry cured, or pickled (brine cured). If it has been dry cured then you will not need any refrigeration.

If it has bee pickled, after cold smoking it will still need to be refrigerated, and fully cook it at some point. After it is cooked it will still need refrigeration, and it will last about 7 - 10 longer in a refrigerator then a cook fresh ham unless you freeze it.

I haven't cold smoke a ham. Either of the above posted methods will work. For hams I generally apply 4 hours or maple, but apple is great to use. Then tightly wrap in plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 2 - 4 days, before I finish cooking it. Again I hot smoke, and cook until the internal temperature is 137°F (partially cooked), or 152°F (fully cooked). Depending on how I want to finish cooking it.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

RFD

Thank you all for your help
It has been dry cured
After it has been cold smoked does it need cooking and if not time before it can be eaten after smoking?
Thanks....

Habanero Smoker

If it has been dried cure, which is referred to as a country ham, it doesn't have to be cooked but it will be very, very salty. Dry cure hams are generally soak in water a couple of days to draw out most of the salt. Then they are usually cooked. Food Network just broadcast an Alton Brown show on the different types of hams, and one of the hams he cooked was a country ham. If you do a search on the food network he many have the recipe posted their, and how he soak the ham prior to cooking. The episode was "Ham I Am."

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)