Sausage Casing Question

Started by deb415611, December 20, 2008, 05:49:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deb415611

I bought some hog casings from Hi-Mountain when I was buying some jerky seasoning in the fall.  They are packed in salt.  I don't see an expiration date anywhere on the package.  Do they last for awhile?  How long do they last once they are opened?   How can you tell if they are bad?

Thanks,
Deb

Smoking Duck

Quote from: deb415611 on December 20, 2008, 05:49:55 PM
I bought some hog casings from Hi-Mountain when I was buying some jerky seasoning in the fall.  They are packed in salt.  I don't see an expiration date anywhere on the package.  Do they last for awhile?  How long do they last once they are opened?   How can you tell if they are bad?

Thanks,
Deb

They should last a long while Deb but I'm not really sure.

How can you tell if they are bad?  One night, outta the clear blue, the cops will just show up at your door  :o ;D ;D

Someone with a lot more sausage knowledge than I should be on soon to help.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

drano

Deb,
Can't give you the whole answer, but I'm sure someone here will.  I don't use natural casings, so this is only what I've read on the net.  
They last quite a while, but I don't know how long.  You rinse the salt off them before stuffing, and if you have some left over, I've always read you can re-salt them and they will be fine.  
I've also read they always have a bad smell, but once rinsed in fresh water they are fine.  
For now, I'm sticking to collagen casings--no fuss, just use what I need and throw the rest back in the box.
Hope someone gives the whole story soon.
drano

deb415611

Quote from: Smoking Duck on December 20, 2008, 05:54:53 PM

How can you tell if they are bad?  One night, outta the clear blue, the cops will just show up at your door  :o ;D ;D

SD

Are we talking about the sausage casings or my kid now?

Smokin Soon

Do not keep casings that you have soaked and rinsed for use. Just put the unused casings in a zip-loc and in the fridge and they will last a long while. The salt is the preservitive, once it is gone, they could spoil.

FLBentRider

Quote from: deb415611 on December 20, 2008, 05:58:15 PM
Quote from: Smoking Duck on December 20, 2008, 05:54:53 PM

SD

Are we talking about the sausage casings or my kid now?

YES
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

Definitely the sausage casings, Deb.  You don't strike me as the type that doesn't have a good control over what their child is doing.  ANyone as adept as you at pizza, italian sausage, etc., has got to have their act together on all fronts.

Now, my kids......watch out  :o

deb415611

Quote from: Smokin Soon on December 20, 2008, 06:12:28 PM
Do not keep casings that you have soaked and rinsed for use. Just put the unused casings in a zip-loc and in the fridge and they will last a long while. The salt is the preservitive, once it is gone, they could spoil.

I have only been taking out what I need.  If I over estimate I have been throwing them away. 

deb415611

Quote from: Smoking Duck on December 20, 2008, 06:15:52 PM
Definitely the sausage casings, Deb.  You don't strike me as the type that doesn't have a good control over what their child is doing.  ANyone as adept as you at pizza, italian sausage, etc., has got to have their act together on all fronts.

Now, my kids......watch out  :o

Not quite sure how my food obsession links to my parenting but if it does you are fine -- you got the pizza thing down!  You also have the ground pepper thing .   

Smoking Duck

Well, I'm not sure there is a correlation.  My take on you and by reading your posts was that you were someone who has their stuff together.  Me.......I'm a mess most of the time but believe it or not, I'm a rather strict parent.  The kids know better than to leave the house and not say Yes, sir or No, Ma'am or please and thank you.  They know they'd better pack up and head to North Dakota to live with Grandma and Grandpa if the cops come knocking on my door for something they've done.

Man, I've really hijacked this thread.  I'm sorry Deb and I didn't even do a dang thing to help you with your question.  My gosh, I've really gotta find a job soon.  Even I'm finding myself unbearable.............

SD

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Smoking Duck on December 20, 2008, 06:52:10 PM
  My gosh, I've really gotta find a job soon.  Even I'm finding myself unbearable.............
SD

Pulled pork Sammies on the corner. Doing what you love and loving what your doing and getting a couple bucks.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smoking Duck

I'm actually thinking hard about opening a joint at the farmers market shown here:

http://www.americancountryside.us/market/about/

However, starting capital is hard to come by in these days of credit crunch.  If I ever get it started, I'd probably have a little refrigeration unit selling CB, belly bacon and cheese as well.  They have someone in their now (a butcher) but his stuff isn't that good (I could be a little biased here) and I think I could compete well with him.

SD

Smokin Soon

Duck, In the real world you cannot compete with the Amish on this one, unless you have something they dont. The fact that the raw materials for anything they grow, harvest, butcher, ect. All without unions or benefits, pension, ect. They have reduced costs to the bare minimum on every item they sell. I respect them for that and would happily shop at that farmers market if I were in Elkhart. But hey I'm in the no job camp too, so anything goes my friend! Just my thoughts, no blasting intended......

Mr Walleye

Deb

Here is a couple of sites with good write ups on natural casings. Both indicate that unused casings can be saved and re-salted. I have also read it in a number of books. I try to be fairly accurate on estimating my casings, if I have a limited amount left I do usually throw them away but if it's a larger amount I do re-salt them. As far as how long they last, both these sources indicate a year or more providing they are packed in salt and kept in the fridge. In some of the material I have read they have indicated much longer. I can get them locally so I buy mine in packages that will do about a 100 to 120 lbs and I don't have any problems using them up in pretty short order.

http://www.alliedkenco.com/catalog/popup_text.php/fld/howto/tbl/howtos/key/17

http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=Custom&ID=36#hog

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Habanero Smoker

Sausage Makers goes a little further. They state if properly cared for, and repacked in purified salt (pickling salt), their shelf live is indefinite.

Hog Casings

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)