• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Thinking about buying an OBS

Started by commonsense, December 21, 2008, 07:54:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

commonsense

Hello I'm new to this forum although i've read numerous things on here.

I haven't bought the smoker yet because i've never smoked before. I grill and bake but have never smoked. 

I'm just wondering if the cost of getting the smoker will be justified by the taste of the food I will be able to smoke. 

I would hate to get it and not be able to make good food.  Any good advise?

Commonsense :-\

Tenpoint5

Commonsense, Welcome to the board.

Yes your investment will be worth every penny. I have had the 4 rack Digital for 3 yrs and I don't think I have ever had anything Bad come out of it yet. I think it would be the perfedt addition to your Arsenal of food prep Toyools. The Bradley will take your grilling and baking to new levels. As you have seen from looking around everyone is more than willing to help you outif you have a question or get stuck doing anything.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Mr Walleye

Dito to what 10.5 had to say Commonsense and welcome to the forum!

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

DrtiBird

Quote from: commonsense on December 21, 2008, 07:54:17 AM
Hello I'm new to this forum although i've read numerous things on here.

I haven't bought the smoker yet because i've never smoked before. I grill and bake but have never smoked. 

I'm just wondering if the cost of getting the smoker will be justified by the taste of the food I will be able to smoke. 

I would hate to get it and not be able to make good food.  Any good advise?

Commonsense :-\
commonsense,
Ditto what the other two said.
When I got my DBS I had not smoked anything (food wise) either, but the folks on here are FREE with their experience and recipes.

I think probably the easiest item is the Smoked Boneless Turkey Breast.
http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?p=687#post687
I have done several of these and the folks that have tried them just rave about how good they are.
I did cut down on the black & red pepper and after 2 hours in the smoker (apple) I moved them into the house to the oven @300*.  They generally take about two hours total smoking/cooking time.

Good Luck & Enjoy!
Ron/DrtiBird
Gainesville, GA

Smoking Duck

Commonsense,

Read a little further on some of the recipes and pics posted.  You can only come to one of two conclusions:  Either the food we put out of the Bradley is incredible or the entire board is comprised of people who suffer from ageusia (lack of taste) and anosmia (lack of smell).  I can assure you it is the former versus the latter.

The Bradley has by far been one of the best investments for food production that I've made and it definitely allows you to produce food you would not be able to reproduce in the kitchen.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

car54

Welcome Commonsense,

YOU WILL NOT REGET BUYING THE BRADLEY!

Brad

deb415611

Welcome commonsense,

Ditto on all the above.  I purchased mine in May and mid-summer my husband said "wow,  I figured you would use it a couple times and then  it would get forgotten, I can't believe how many times you have used it"   I bought it with ribs & pork butt in mind,  never had a clue the variety of items that would come out of it (of which TOTAL credit goes to the forum members here).   

In my mind I have already justified the cost of mine. 

Deb

firerescueman

Hi commonsense and WELCOME to the forum!

The Bradley smoker will ABSOLUTELY be the best investment you have ever made in a cooking appliance!  The food is indescribable......  it's beyond good......  it's better than 5ex!  (well,  ok,  maybe that's exhaggerating just a bit ::)  ;) )   Let's just say it will make you the envy of the neighborhood with the quality of food it will produce.

AND....  their customer service is absolutely top-notch.  In the rare event of a problem or malfunction,  a phone call is all it takes and they will do whatever it takes to make it right....... without any hassle!

Go ahead and spend the money,  you won't regret it.   And stick around the forum.....  you will learn alot of new recipes and get answers to any question you might have.

Take care and good luck in your decision.

Jeff
God has a sense of humor....  Don't believe me?  go to WalMart and just LOOK at people!

jeff_smoke

Hi Commonsense,
      I just bought mine a couple weeks ago, so my tastebuds have not
become completely smoked yet like the rest of these biased folks  ;D.
"Just a little humor there - please don't boot me outta the forum".
I'd say they're right on the money though. I'm so happy with my purchase.
      Unlike you, I've owned a smoker and know what great taste smoke
adds to the food...even homemade. For me; I wanted ease of use so that
it wouldn't be a big project. That's exactly what it is. It's such a breeze to
make fantastic smoked food that used to be such a hassle...a hassle of love mind you,
but I wouldn't smoke food very often due to the prep, time, and constant attention
involved with typical smokers.
      If I didn't like the unit, believe me; I'd tell ya. It's really a worthwhile purchase.
-- Jeff

hillbillysmoker

Welcome to the forum. Plenty of friendly folks here who are always anxious to help or share. Pull the trigger on that OBS and don't look back. One the best investments in your life time.
May the fragrance of thin blue smoke always grace your backyard.

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

commonsense

Thanks for the advise everybody I think I'll buy one this Friday!

I'm sure you'll here from me this weekend with the results.  I think I'll start with a whole chicken.

Any advise on that is plenty welcome.

Thanks again,

Commonsense

FLBentRider

Make sure you leave the vent at least 1/3 open. This seems to be the #1 new smoker error. (yes I did it once too)
Once the smoke gets to the vent it has done it's job, set it free.

Closing the vent (especially with poulty) will cause moisture to build up in your smoker, condense, and drip nasty black stuff on your food.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smokin Soon

Good choice commonsense! Best thing to do now is spend some time reading here and on the Recipe forum. You will be surprised how fast help comes when you need it. Make sure you have everything you need
before jumping in.