First Cheese!

Started by JNB, December 23, 2008, 06:27:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JNB

Walked to the local grocers, got 2 lbs each of Cheddar, Colby Monterey Jack, Muenster, and Mozzarella.  Quartered them into about 8 oz. blocks and let rest a bit while I set up the OB.

Racked 4 lbs each, harder cheeses lower.  Iced the water bowl and added a "cooler" twist: using one of those "Blue Ice" blocks (wrapped in a bag--don't need the ice brick smelling up the freezer!) on the top rack.  Figured that as cool air falls, it should help stabilize the box temp.  OAT is about 48F right now, and shouldn't warm much beyond 50F by the time the cheese comes out.  Have the remote thermometer set to alarm at 75F.

I'll add more pics as it all progresses.

bflosmoke

Please continue!
I am planning on trying cheese soon and cant wait to see how it turns out.
BFLO

Smoking Duck

Looks real good JNB!  I have the same exact tiles in my kitchen.  Kinda weird looking at someone else house and seeing the same tile.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

JNB

Quote from: Smoking Duck on December 23, 2008, 07:56:39 AM
Looks real good JNB!  I have the same exact tiles in my kitchen.  Kinda weird looking at someone else house and seeing the same tile.

SD

I've got that tile (19cm x 19cm Italian porcelain) throughout the house, about 1000 sf of it.  The bedrooms & office have the only carpet in the place.

More pics in a bit!

JNB

Finished everything just a little while ago.  The temp never got past 81, and that was at the very end.  Added some ice once, and opened the door two or three times.  Other than that, no problemo.

Near the end, venting off a little, box temp 79.  Oh, for the record it was a total of six pucks of Hickory.  I thought of mixing something else in there, but decided to keep everything simple for the first round. 

The sealing station ready to go:

Out of the OB and resting a bit. Only had a teensy bit of sweat.  Lightly patted with a paper towel was all it needed..

Labeled & ready for packaging.  I used some laser printer business card stock trimmed a little.  Each card was actually laid onto a piece of wax paper. Not really a problem getting them into their bags (assuming they're big enough!).

First set vac'd & sealed, and into the fridge for its rest of a week or so.  The Cheddar and Colby weeped a little, but it wasn't really an issue.

All Done!  The rest of it into the lowest part of the fridge for a few hours, then into the freeze for enjoyment months from now.  I may give some to the neighbors.  Maybe not.  ;)

Next up: bacon!

westexasmoker

Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Mr Walleye

Looks awesome JNB!  ;)

Do ya need my address?  ::)  ;D

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smoking Duck

Looks great, JNB.  Nice touch with the wax paper.  I'm always a little leery about placing ink in with food (always a little paranoid, I guess) but I think with the wax paper, you'll be fine.  Might have to give that a try.

We have the same exact tile throughout the kitchen, small bathroom, mud room and my home office.  I must say, you have good taste  ;D
SD

sherlock

Y'all do have good taste.

It looks like mine also. Just in foyer, baths, kitchen and sun room.
;D

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Buck36

That looks fantastic. I love the labels!

Tenpoint5

I really need a vac sealer. I have to eat all my smoked cheese right away. can't store for months like you guys can.

By the way JNB your gonna love the Bacon!!!
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

bflosmoke

Thanks for the picks. It looks great.
One question, how long will the cheese last in the fridge, freezer?
Tom

JNB

Quote from: bflosmoke on December 24, 2008, 08:25:09 AM
Thanks for the picks. It looks great.
One question, how long will the cheese last in the fridge, freezer?
Tom

Vacuum sealing it will add substantially to the shelf life. Unopened it should last a couple months in the fridge, several months in the freezer.  At least that's been my experience with other vacuum-packed foods at home.  I've recently had lasagna from July, a rib roast from September, and some taco meat from February.  All of them were absolutely scrumptious, no sign of freezer burn or spoilage.

Keep in mind that the vacuum must be complete and not lost because of a bad seal (that happened to some smoked salmon once  :(), and your fridge/freezer must be really cold.  Mine are 37/10F for the house and 34/0F in the garage.

Of course, once opened it'll last about as long as it takes to devour it!  ;D

Smoking Duck

I never freeze the cheese (Dang, the Dr. Suess in me is coming out again).  I find that when freezing cheese, it never is as good and it seems as if it affects the texture of the cheese.  However, keeping several months in the fridge is never a problem, except that it never lasts that long.   That is really the conundrum.  It's like asking how many licks a Tootsie Roll pop lasts......I can never make it all the way through to find out.  ;D