• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Preparing for Christmas Eve Dinner

Started by Smoking Duck, December 23, 2008, 06:54:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

Got a 4 pound and a 4.5 pound round roast for Christmas Eve Dinner.  Decided to benchmark off of WTS's garlic stuff roast(Many thanks for sharing that WTS).  Took a little liberty with the stuffing.  Diced 1 head of garlic and 1 medium onion.  Cut a pocket into the beef and spread the garlic/onion mixture inside.  The rubbed lightly with EVOO and utilized Jan's Rub as the rub.  I tweaked Jan's rub just a bit by adding 2 t of worcestersire powder as I like the addition of worcestersire to the beef.  Not sure if I'll be able to get finished pics of this or not.  Gonna smoke with 3 hours of hickory at 210F, take to an IT of 145F and then FTC for the hour and a half drive that might actually take us 3 hours as we're getting freezing rain right now and the roads are gonna be a mess.  I'll try my best to get finished photos but here's a couple.  One with the garlic/onion and the other with the rub applied getting ready to rest in the refer overnight.  Her's a link to Jan's Rub which my friend KYNola selflessly shared with the board:  http://www.susanminor.org/forums/showthread.php?t=467

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

FLBentRider

Dude!

That looks great!

I'm gonna do one of those top or bottom round roasts for New years...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

NePaSmoKer

westexasmoker

I'm warming the truck up!!  Just give me a few days!  ;D

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Habanero Smoker

The roast looks good.

Are you sure you want to take it to 145°F? With the FTC the carry over will take it to at least 150°F.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Smoking Duck

Well, I wasn't exactly sure.  I thought about ~140 but not sure exactly how long the FTC period will be.  Since you questioned it, I'm gonna go with my first instinct of 140 IT.  Thanks for helping me confirm my first instinct.  I knew I could count on you!

WTS, drive like yer arse is on fire and yer hair was catching  ;D  Dinner will be served up in southwest Michigan, right along the lake.  Dinner time is around 6:30 pm.  I'll set an extra spot for you!

SD

deb415611

Very nice Duck!  Hope you & the Duck family have a wonderful Christmas!!

Tenpoint5

Quote from: westexasmoker on December 23, 2008, 09:10:09 PM
I'm warming the truck up!!  Just give me a few days!  ;D

C

WTS you must be getting old!!! Its about 4 hours from my place to Duck and I know I can get from my place to Boerne (San Antonio) in 18
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

KyNola

Looking good SD!
Let me know how the rub works as I have not tried it on beef.  Happy holidays and have a safe trip.

KyNola

Smoking Duck

Thanks my friend, especially for sharing the rub.  It really is a tasty rub.  Here's hoping the wife's family likes it.

Merry Christmas!

SD

KyNola

Duck, you're more than welcome.  Hey look at it this way, if your wife's family doesn't like it you always have me to blame!! :D  That way you save face with the wife and her family!

KyNola

Smoking Duck

Oh, I stopped worrying about saving face with them.....I'm pretty conservative in my views and they're liberal (in a way, I hope they don't like it)  :o ;D

But, I'll wish them a Merry Christmas just the same  ;) :D  Seriously, though, they're really good people and I haven't had a thing that I've smoked that wasn't entirely devoured and usually, one of her uncles will be licking the plate  ;D  I'm pretty confident that rub will be great.  I really like the notes that the celery seed and powder give the rub and think it'll compliment the beef real well.

SD

Tenpoint5

Quote from: Smoking Duck on December 24, 2008, 09:11:26 AM
  I really like the notes that the celery seed and powder give the rub and think it'll compliment the beef real well.
SD

Hazel is slipping out again Duck. Thought you had that under control. Better sneak another shot of that single barrel.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Smoking Duck

Oh, crap, I guess if I'm gonna go Hazel, I might as well go full-blown Hazel!

Smoking Duck

Quote from: deb415611 on December 24, 2008, 05:27:40 AM
Very nice Duck!  Hope you & the Duck family have a wonderful Christmas!!

Thank you Deb!  All the best to you and yours as well!

SD