• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Christmas Prime Rib

Started by stillsmoking, December 24, 2008, 04:27:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stillsmoking

Trying something a little different from my standard routine this year.  Have a nice 7 1/2 pound standing rib roast (prime rib).  Pureed a couple onions, some garlic, some paprika, a little pepper a little soy sauce and a small measure of apple cider in the blender.  Eyes watering as I taste it but think I got it right.  Rub up that roast good and into a ziploc bag with the roast and remaining puree.  Will marinade for the afternoon and overnight or about 16-18 hours in the fridge.  Roast will come out of the fridge in the morning as I start the Bradley heating up.  Tough to guess on times the weather has been a mix of everything except warmth lately.  I am guessing 5-6 hours in the Bradley with at least 4 hours of cherry and hickory.  Love the cherry with beef.  Will try to get some pics of the finished product on line tomorrow or soon anyhow.

A few years back I did a boneless leg of lamb in a similar way and literally ended up with the perfect, tender, juicy, flavorful leg of lamb.  I probably used red wine in place of the apple cider.  Thought a light touch of sweetness would be good with the prime rib this time.

Stargazer

Merry Christmas stillsmoking.

Me and my father usually do a prime rib every Christmas ourselves. It's sort of a tradition. I bought him a real nice one as one of his gifts. He really gets into making his prime ribs. However we have never smoked one, only roasted in the oven.

Please let us know and post some pictures of it when your done if it is possible. I would love to try smoking one. I think my father would even get into smoking prime rib too. He mainly just likes to eat the smoked results, but I'm willing to bet he would take great intrest in smoking one up. I showed him your post and got his attention pretty big.

Go here for all your smoke and grilling needs: http://www.yardandpool.com

Smoking Duck

Sounds great SS.  There are some posts of prime rib on here already that are incredible, Star.  If I'm not mistaken, Consigs has made some killer prime rib with pics as well as Habs.  Not sure who all has done them but I've seen them and they are 100% droolable.  Just do a search and you'll be salivating in no time.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

stillsmoking

Glad your dad was interested Stargazer and Merry Christmas!  Prime Rib at Christmas is kind of a traditon for us as well.  Have used the oven, barbecues or other equipment in past years but I think we like the Bradley best.  Have used the Bradley for the Christmas meal the last 2-3 years and it just develops a fine flavor and texture. 

As the Duck said, lots of good information and posts from some very talented people in here.  Merry Christmas to you too Duck!

Timing should be fun today, 12 degrees out right now with 10-15 mph breezes forecast.  I should mention this roast will go the FTC route, (foil, towel, cooler) for two hours if I can time it right.  Will do my best to post some pics later.

stillsmoking

Been about 3 1/2 hours in the smoker now.  Smoker temp has built back up to 210, low teens outside.  About a 5mph breeze.

This is what it looked like going into the smoker.

The red stuff is mostly onion, garlic and paprika.

kybanjoe

We are starting the prime rib tration this year too.  I have one about half the size in the smoker right now.  I used a dry rub and let it sit in the fridge with the rub for a day and a half.  I am using special blend for about 3 1/2 hrs. 

I have done one before and came out great.  I used the FTC method and found that I really didn't need to do it with a prime rib, so I am skipping that this time.

Don't you all love the way the racks fit right on the sink?

stillsmoking

5 1/2 hours in the smoker, Hickory and Cherry the whole time.  Out of the smoker, cover with the remaining onion/garlic/paprika mixture which has been boiled.  Into a 450 oven for about 20 minutes then FTC for 1 hour 45 minutes.  140 internal temp when I put it in the cooler.  When I took it out internal temp 145.

Here it is,

Like a slice?

The wife says maybe not my best ever but right up there.  I agree, so tender I was tempted to use a spoon.  Flavor was just wonderful, the marinade made a great sauce also.

westexasmoker

That SS, is a thing of beauty!!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Gizmo

Awesome, I'd have some if I wasn't stuffed.  I just love it when the steam coming off the meat shows up in the picture.  Mark of Excellence.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

stillsmoking

Thanks guys, it really was pretty coming out.  Thinking about breakfast at this point.  Scrambled eggs and prime rib, prime rib omelette, prime rib burrito???  Can't decide what will make the best fuel for shoveling snow.

3rensho

Wow, talk about a work of art.  That looks spectacular!!!
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Smoking Duck

Hey, SS......if the wife says maybe not the best, I'd really like to see the pics of the best.  That looks incredible and my teeth are bared ready to sink into it!

SD

stillsmoking

Went with the scrambled eggs and prime rib, yes it was good the second time around!

Smoking Duck, in my view the only thing that would have made this better comes down to two words.  More Garlic!  Of course that is my standard response to any question.  Also if I had thought of it soon enough I would have put a little horseradish or wasabi into the marinade/sauce.

Smoking Duck

I like the way you think  ;) ;D  Wasabi..........not just good for clearing the sinuses............ ;D

FLBentRider

Stillsmoking,

That looks great!

I need to do a prime rib in the bradley again.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!