Walleye Cheesy Bake

Started by Smoking Duck, December 26, 2008, 03:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoking Duck

I don't have the exact recipe for this as I just made it up one day at fishing camp and thought yinz guys might like it, especially Mike (Mr. Walleye).   I've never smoked it as we don't have a smoker at fishing camp but it might be good if doing the fillets with a little smoke before baking.

You'll need:

Asparagus
Walleye Fillets (or whatever fish you might prefer....for me it's walleye but use your imagination)
Basic Cheese sauce
Shredded Cheese (smoked cheese would work good as well)
Saltines or any basic light cracker

Directions:

Cut asparagus into 1" segments

Cover an entire cookie sheet with asparagus pieces

Cover asparagus with fish fillets

Take your cheese sauce and pour over entire cookie sheet of asparagus and fillets into a 350F oven for about 30 minutes or until fish fillets appear to be cooked through

While asparagus/fish/cheese sauce is cooking, melt butter.  Crumble saltines with hands.  Remove butter from heat and place crumbled saltines in melted butter.  Mix until all saltines are mixed well with butter.

Pull out cookie sheet and top the asparagus/fish/cheese sauce with the shredded cheese and then the saltines.  Bake for another 5-10 minutes until shredded cheese melts a little and saltines start looking a little brown.  Salt and Pepper to taste.

Sorry it isn't more precise; I just pulled this out of a hat when the guys complained about not having enough variety in fish camp and came up with it.  No recipe to work off of except what's in my head.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Mr Walleye

Hey SD, sounds great, thanks for sharing that one!  ;)

We will have to give that one a shot for sure.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smoking Duck

I also use to make one I called Lake Kabinakagami pizza.  It didn't have a crust, but I simply threw a bunch of fillets on a cookie sheet, covered with spaghetti sauce, sliced up onions, peppers, and anything else I could find.  Threw mozzarella cheese on it and baked till it was done.  Real simple but never had a morsel left.  Of course. while the rest pf the cabins were having fried fish for the 17th time that week, our cabin was eating something different.  Maybe the meals taste better because it's not always fried walleye? Plus, in my opinion, with walleye, it's hard to go wrong.  It is by far my favorite fresh water fish.

SD

Mr Walleye

That sounds good too SD. Your right you can't go wrong with walleye. It's a very nice tasting fish for sure.

Sometimes you do get tired of fried. One thing we have done is dip the fillets in an egg wash, then into some crushed salt n' vinegar chips (or whatever chips ya have kickin' around the cabin), then lay them on a bed of sliced lemons on a sheet pan and into the oven. These turn out real nice too.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

Smoking Duck

I love potato chip fish...never tried with salt n vinegar though.  Sounds really tasty.  The poor man's lobster boil goes over extremely well and that was usually the last dinner of the week for us.

SD

seemore

This sounds really good, SD!  Both Scott and I are big fans of asparagus and fish and cheese!

Smoking Duck

It is very good, Seemore (I never know which one I'm talking to. so it's like talking to a split-personality at times  ;D).  It's hard to go wwrong with any of those three.  Asparagus, believe it or not, is one of the few vegetables everybody in the family can agree on.  It's also very simple to make.  The hard part is catching the walleye, unless of course, you go fishing at the supermarket  ;)  I promise, you won't be disappointed.  Some time, I really gotta sit down and measure out the ingredients so I can pass that along.

seemore

QuoteScott and I
I thought that was a dead giveaway, but that's ok.  I understand.
signed,

Seemore, I mean, Mr., er I mean Mrs........

We like to keep you guessing!!!  ;)

Smoking Duck

I guess I should read more carefully.  However, I wasn't sure if the hubby liked to talk in the third person  :o ;D

deb415611

Quote from: seemore on December 29, 2008, 04:51:30 PM
QuoteScott and I

I was going to point that out but I was being nice  ;D

seemore

Just call him "Sybil"!!!!   :o  Just kidding!!!

We will have to try that dish, though.  It really sounds good.

Smoking Duck

Quote from: deb415611 on December 29, 2008, 05:13:38 PM
Quote from: seemore on December 29, 2008, 04:51:30 PM
QuoteScott and I

I was going to point that out but I was being nice  ;D

I keep telling everyone that I'm a beer short of a 6-pack but no one ever believes me.  Sometimes, I read too fast for my mind to catch up  ;D

Piker

A little off the subject where do you guys have fish camp that has the amenities that you mention? I am used to a tent,camp stove or bbq. We do eat a lot of fish usually fried in pork fat over an open fire. Also fried potatoes the same way. I have not checked my arteries lately but i am too old to worry about it now. 

Buck36

Quote from: Smoking Duck on December 27, 2008, 03:54:50 AM
I also use to make one I called Lake Kabinakagami pizza.  It

I think Lake Kabinakagami is in Ontario. I would be interested too. Always looking for a good fishing camp!

Smoking Duck

Piker,

I used to go to a place up in Northern Ontario called Lake Kabinakigami.  It was a fly in only place.  It's a pretty decent sized lake (I believe it has about 25 miles of shoreline, if memory serves).  The camp I went to provided the cabin and the cabins came with a stove (gas), a woodburner for heat and even had toilets and hot showers.  It was by no means roughing it but it wasn't Shangri-La either.  You were allowed 100 pounds per person on the flight.  I believe that anything over 100 pounds per person was an additional 50 cents per pound.  We were always well over the limit (heck, we were over the limit just in beer), but it was worth it.  I always made the menu and everyone chipped in a set amount for groceries.  I just about drank vodka the entire time I was there but it was in a healthy way.  I'd have vodka/orange juice in the morning, vodka and cranberry juice in the afternoon and then vodka and whatever else I could find in the evening.  I believe the last time I went, it cost me about $1150 for everything for a week of fishing and lodging (that included the food).  The fishing was awesome......I never went more than 5 minutes without a bite and we caught a ton of walleye, northerns, perch and whitefish.  I sure wish I could go back again......it was the greatest.  No TV, no radio, no internet....just fishing, drinking, eating and being with your buds.  Ahhhhhhhh, good times!  If you're interested, PM me and I'll send you a link to the lake and cabins we used.

SD