water pan?

Started by fishaddict, December 27, 2008, 06:44:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishaddict

I just got the original Bradley not to long ago and already love it, but have one question. I am an avid fisherman and I smoke alot of salmon, my question is do I need to fill the pan of water when doing fish? I liked the carmelized coating that I got when I used my Big Cheif but I can't seem to get that with my bradley and I am thinking it is because of the steam that I get from the pan of water. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Smoking Duck

Once the smoke is finished rolling, you don't need the water but you do need the water while the pucks are burning to extinguish the pucks.

Welcome to the site and feel free to share recpes and pics.....we love those here!

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

KyNola

Fish,
Welcome to the forum.  The water pan should definitely have water in it.  The primary reason for the water pan is to extinguish the pucks when they are pushed off of the puck burner.  Otherwise you can get a bitter taste as the puck continues to smolder.

As for the salmon, I highly recommend you go to the "fish" section of the forum and take a look at Kummok's smoked salmon recipe.  It is unbelieveably good.  Have yet to hear anyone say it wasn't the best smoked salmon they have ever eaten.

KyNola

fishaddict

Thanks for the welcome. Do I need to extinguish the old pucks in the water? Can I just empty the pan with the old pucks every ounce in a while?

Smoking Duck

The way the Bradley works is that with the pucks, they burn for 20 minutes.  What you get is the "extra-virgin olive oil" of the smoke if you will.  By allowing the pucks to smolder longer than that, you'd introduce some smoke that wouldn't be that good.  Additionally, without the water in there while burning the pucks, you run a HUGE risk of fire.

I agree with KYNola....check out Kummok's post on Smoked Salmon.....you won't be disappointed.

SD

Smoking Duck

Here's a link to the thread where Kummok's recipe can be found

SD

Kummok's Smoked Salmon

pensrock

For something like fish I would think you could empty the spent pucks every hour or so when rearranging the trays in the smoker for more even heating. But with something with more fat/oil in it like brisket and pulled pork you need the water to keep the drippings from catching fire. I have read others say they can get a bitter taste from the smoldering spent pucks but I have not noticed it myself. You could also put ice in the bowl, it would have to melt then boil before making steam but it may also slow the heating process. I have not tried it myself.

As far as smoked salmon goes, I agree with KyNola tha Kummoks salmon recipe is hard to beat.

fishaddict

Thanks everyone for the advice, I will give that recipe a try next time I do a batch. I have been using a dry brine but I am always open to trying new things.

Smoking Duck

I guarantee you that you'll become a favorite of Kummok's Salmon......it is the salmon by which all others are measured, IMO.

After thinking about the pucks, I suppose it could be done if you wanted to mess with it every 20 minutes or so but realize that opening the door that many times will affect the temp of your unit greatly.  Especially if it's cold and windy outside, you may have a harder time keeping the unit up to temp.  Plus, after suffering a house fire last year, I'm pretty much a hypochondriac on that front anymore.

SD