Smoking in 2009

Started by Dex, December 28, 2008, 03:04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dex

Well here in about a week, I am putting myself on a diet  >:(
- I need to.

So I am sitting here thinking, I still need/want to use my smoker. Im going to have to come up with some good ideas for keeping it healthy. I will probably have to stay away from all those yummy sauces.

Has anyone smoked turkey burgers on the smoker? I figured I could always hit the burgers with some smoke, then toss them on the grill. Or maybe even finish in the smoker and hope it doesnt dry out.

Any other ideas for healthy smoking?

I suppose I could even make some turkey burger or lean hamburger fatties.

deb415611

Dex,

I made these today using 90% ground beef.  The last time that I made them I also made some using ground turkey breast.  I used the Hi-Mountain pepperoni snack stick kit.  My family prefers the beef but I liked the ones with the ground turkey breast.  Since the meat is so lowfat I pay careful attention to the temp while cooking so it doesn't overcook & become dry.

click on pic to enlarge

The herb-brined smoked turkey breast from Charcuterie is really good.

Lots you can do. 

Deb

FLBentRider

I don't see where turkey burgers would not work.

Chicken is a good choice, Pork loin has endless possibilities.

Most of what we smoke is fairly lean protien.

PM me if you want more details on the diet the wife and I are on. Good results
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Dex

Thanks for the tips Deb!

FL - PM sent!

Smoking Duck

I just gave up drinking regular pop........that's as far as I go with concern for a diet.  However, I'm the type that doesn't want to look good lying in a casket with people saying he looks so good.......I want people standing over me saying "What took him so long?"

In all seriousness though, I'm sure there are little ways to help with enjoying the smoke but still keeping it healthy.  Healthy doesn not have to mean not tasty, IMO.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Smokin Soon

For sausages I do mix in turkey breast and use this product to give the same consistancy as a hi fat product. It works very well.

http://www.sausagemaker.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=1378

Habanero Smoker

If you learn how to season ground turkey and ground chicken they taste really good. Pork loin and pork tenderloin are also very lean meats, and don't forget about fish. There are vegetables that are great for smoking, such as corn, tomatoes, egg plant, tofu (thread recently started).

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

Dex

Thanks guys!

I would like to smoke some fish. I am a big talapia fan, anyone ever smoke it? Its a pretty flakey fish, but I could always do it on a foil boat or something.

deb415611

Thanks SS - My goal is to make some healthier sausage.  I'm going to take a closer look at that product. 

pensrock

That 'fat replacer' sounds interesting. I've been wanting to make some snack sticks, maybe try some lean turkey snack sticks?

Smoking Duck

You could always do a tofu sausage......man that sounds weird  :o

Consiglieri

Skinless chicken breasts, or a skinned chicken for that matter, are options. 

You can substitute ground chicken or turkey for pretty much any ground beef recipe.  You'll have to work to know the difference in meatloaf or tacos.  I even -- now don't jump to conclusions Duck-- use turkey sausage or ground turkey when making spaghetti gravy, and this is from a pasta snob. 

So maybe an "Ain't your Momma's [turkey] Meatloaf" is worth a try. 

I've been wanting to try a turkey pastrami, but haven't done so yet.  Habanero Smoker has posted techniques for making one, but I don't have the link handy here at the office. 

Good luck. 
Consiglieri

Smokin Soon

Like Habs has stated, turkey, chicken and lean pork can be mixed with pork butt for sausages. Might look into some of the brit sausages that are not smoked but steamed. I have done a variety of low fat sausages  and have been very happy with the results. In my opinion, It's all in the seasoning and the smoke!! Get out the grinder and go! You cannot depend on tried and true to match your tastes.

Pork roasts are are a very lean option and have many possibilities for a marinade or injection. It's all out there, just gotta search and build your database.

Buck36

Cutting down on the simple carbohydrates is what always works for me. I can have the smoked meats but the breads, pastas, desserts, etc. all need put back in check.

However, I do love this quote...

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, drink in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Smoking Duck

Quote from: Consiglieri on December 29, 2008, 05:11:55 PM
I even -- now don't jump to conclusions Duck-- use turkey sausage or ground turkey when making spaghetti gravy, and this is from a pasta snob. 

Somewhere, Santino Corleone is shedding a tear  :'(

;D ;D ;D