Smoked tofu

Started by bflosmoke, December 28, 2008, 06:30:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bflosmoke

Hi everyone
Please dont laugh but my daughter is a vegetarian but she loves the smell when I am smoking has anyone ever heard of smoking tofu.
BFLO

Smoking Duck

I'm sorry, I couldn't help laughing  ;D ;D ;D

In all seriousness, though, I don't ever buy tofu or eat it.  With that being said, does it melt when reaching hotter temps?  Perhaps a cold-smoke or a very quick smoke when you have other stuff in there.  I'm really not sure about how the consistency would allow for smoke adhesion either.

I do applaud your bravery for asking the question though  ;) :D ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

deb415611

bflosmoke,

My son was a vegetarian for about five years and I think I have either read about or seen smoked tofu in the store.   I think it absorbs flavors so I bet it would absorb the smoke. 

Did a quick google & quite a few hits.  here is one http://vegandad.blogspot.com/2008/08/smoked-tofu.html

Deb

KyNola

Aw man.  This has to be a new low on the Bradley forum. :D  :D Just kidding BFLO.  I'm with SD on this one.  I would opt for a cold smoke.  Looks like Deb has a link for you.  I do know that tofu is very flavor absorbent.  The question would be how long do you smoke it for the flavor your daughter might like?  Sounds like a good day of experimental smoking to me.  Another question just popped in my mind.  Would you need to let smoked tofu age like you do smoked cheese to avoid that "ashtray" flavor?

Could be a fun project!  Just went out on Deb's link for you.  I would say you can definitely smoke tofu.

KyNola   

Smokin Soon

I'm trying to be nice here on the Tofu thing, ....................nevermind!  ;D

MWS

http://forum.bradleysmoker.com/index.php?topic=3144.0

I remember a post from awhile back on smoked tofu. I've tried it and it is good. My wife is a veggie. Cheers
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Habanero Smoker

I smoke tofu often. I smoke it for a friend of mine, and I also use it. The key is the get extra firm or firm tofu packed in water. Freeze it for a few days, thaw and smoke.

MWS has post a link on the forum. Here a link on the recipe site; Smoked Tofu Bacon.

You don't only have to make bacon, you can experiment with other marinades, cube it instead of slicing.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)

3rensho

That's something I gotta try.  I use tofu regularly as I make a lot of Asian food for myself.  Maybe in some wor won ton or smoked tofu and tender greens chow fun.  Hmmmmm
Somedays you're the pigeon, Somedays you're the statue.

Consiglieri

:P

I'd need a big glass of something strong to wash that down, but I'm not a tofu person.  Somehow, though, I think this may end up like the "smoked liver" experiment I read about here.  Personally, if daughter likes the smell, tell her that's the meat and smoke combined and her body is telling her to eat the pig.   ;D

Good luck, and happy new year. 
Consiglieri

pensrock

QuotePersonally, if daughter likes the smell, tell her that's the meat and smoke combined and her body is telling her to eat the pig.

;D ;D ;D

I've ever hade tofu but think it would take on smoke. I don't think I would be able to keep it down myself, but one never knows. I've eaten many odd things when traveling around the world, maybe I've had tofu and did not know it?  ???

MWS

You'd be surprised how versatile tofu can be. Once you get past the bad rap tofu and tofu eaters have, it's really pretty good stuff when prepared right. My vegetarian wife made a pumpkin tofu cheesecake for Christmas dinner that was fantastic.

Oh god, is this me talking!!!!!!!! I think I've been brainwashed.
Mike 

"Men like to barbecue, men will cook if danger is involved"

Consiglieri

I'm at a loss: what does the tofu add to the pumkin cheesecake? 

I think I have dain bramage too. 
Consiglieri

Smoking Duck

Putting the words "smoked" and "tofu" together is almost like putting the words "tough" and "Ralph Macchio" together.  However, I always try to reserve judgement about food until I try it once. 

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Tenpoint5

I was forced with the "Honey you have to try this" to try tofu. It must have been bad Cause it took me 17yrs to try it again. The first attempt was during my "Practice Marriage", nevermind that says alot.
Bacon is the Crack Cocaine of the Food World.

Be careful about calling yourself and EXPERT! An ex is a has-been, and a spurt is a drip under pressure!

Habanero Smoker

Quote from: Consiglieri on December 29, 2008, 01:12:18 PM
I'm at a loss: what does the tofu add to the pumkin cheesecake? 

I think I have dain bramage too. 
Consiglieri;

As MSW states tofu is very versatile. To answer your question, you can use soft tofu instead of cream cheese to make your cheese cake. :) I'm smiling while I say this, but its true.

Tofu by itself is bland, you need to know how to season it and marinade it, and with the addition of smoke they right combinations of flavors you have a winner. Tofu is like a culinary sponge, it absorbs flavors very well. Firm tofu has the consistency of chicken breast.

I
         don't
                   inhale.
  ::)