• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

if it smells

Started by CLAREGO, December 29, 2008, 07:25:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CLAREGO

wasted 20 ponds of pork butt :( it smelled am i right about this if it smells then dont even try to smoke it ?

Smoking Duck

I guess it depends on what it smells like........what was the use by date?

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

FLBentRider

If it smells bad, I would pitch it or return it.

I don't take chances on commode hugging...
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

manxman

Most bugs that cause food poisoning don't cause the food to smell bad................ but if the food smells bad I wouldn't smoke it in any case as it is a sign all is not right.

Manxman

smokeitall

I follow the rule:  Better to be safe then sorry....

westexasmoker

I'm with everyone else, if it smells pitch it, not worth taking the chance!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

CLAREGO

its was not a strong oder its in the landfill by now thanks all

pensrock

Not one to put salt in a wound, but what happened?  ???

CLAREGO

no idea i bought frozen the freeze by date was the day i got it

Oyènkwara

This reminds me of an experience I had with ribs one time. I was at "wally world" digging through the crio-vac sealed ribs looking for a couple with just the right weight. Didn't realize that I had started digging into the back.

When I got home I opened one pkg, all ok. The other stunk so bad I thought I was going to loose it. Brought it back, and the guy at the counter took one look (and smell) and said go get another and you're all set!

I learned the hard way to check the dates before I leave the store!

Stargazer

Quote from: FLBentRider on December 29, 2008, 08:25:08 AM
If it smells bad, I would pitch it or return it.

I don't take chances on commode hugging...
I have to totally agree with FLB. One time I purchased enough pork butt to make about 25lbs os brats and my back went out. So it stayed in the fridge alittle to long. By the time I was able to get back up and do this the pork started getting a smell to it that wasn't all that good.

While it may of technically still been good if I washed it and rushed the grind and brat process, I really didn't want to risk it, have me and my dad and uncle getting sick, having to end up tossing it all out after doing all that work. Not to mention the possibility it was worse then that with worse possible senerios.

It really sucked to pitch it, but better safe then sorry, or being worried every time you take a bite of the cooked pork wondering if your going to do a scissor kicking swan dive to the bathroom like a westside story gang member.

As FLB also mentioned and a great point, it doesn't hurt to see if you can possibly return it. If your in good enough with your butcher and give him enough regular business, even if its after the due date, he might cut you some slack and let you exchange it maybe. Never hurts to at least try though.

Good luck
Go here for all your smoke and grilling needs: http://www.yardandpool.com

Buck36

I had a pork butt that did the same thing. We brought it home from Costco and when I opened it the smell was strong. Anyone who lives near a Costco they are incredible about refunding! They said they take every step to prevent it but some get through that are bad. They refunded the money and told us next time just bring in the receipt, they don't need to inspect the meat. 

FLBentRider

Sams is good about it too, at least mine is. I've had pork loin and butts returned with no questions asked.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

firerescueman

ok...... this begs the question.....

I have canadian bacon curing in the fridge with Bradley's maple cure plus a few other seasonings.  I put this in the fridge on December 22nd.  It is supposed to cure for 3 weeks,  but the expiration date on the loin was january 2nd.

my timing for curing should have me taking it out about January 12th.   Will the curing process take care of the bad stuff or am I going to have problems towards the end of the cure?

God has a sense of humor....  Don't believe me?  go to WalMart and just LOOK at people!

Gizmo

The cure will extend the expiration date.  You will be good to go.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/