powder milk

Started by BTUCKER, December 31, 2008, 02:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BTUCKER

I HAVE SEEN MANY SUGGESTIONS FOR POWDER MILK IN SAUSAGE AS A BINDER AND TO FIRM IT UP.
how much per pound, and does it change the taste any?

Smoking Duck

Happy New Year BTucker!

I haven't noticed a difference in taste,  I always use about 1.5 cups per 10 pounds of meat.  Some ues a little more, some a little less.  It does work great as a binding agent.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

pensrock

QuoteI haven't noticed a difference in taste,  I always use about 1.5 cups per 10 pounds of meat.  Some ues a little more, some a little less.  It does work great as a binding agent.

SD

Ditto

Smokin Soon

The powdered milk is not about taste at all. It depends totally on the fat content of the sausage. If the fat starts rendering at a lower temp than your final IT, than you could have a shriveled up mess that will still taste good but not look very good. Gotta try diff things to see what works for you.

BTUCKER

hey, thanks for all the advise, smokin soon, that was the problem on my first batch of sausage, it tasted GREAT but the meat shrank, so the casing was way lose...... you guys here are the best thing in the world for someone learning to be a smoker.........

Steeleco

Newbie question #2!  Is the powdered milk in lieu the nitrates?  I'm only using commercial mixes for my learning curve, but I'd love to be able to reduce some of that salt.

Thanks 

Gizmo

No,
Nitrates (cure #2) are a preservative and act like a time release process.

The powder milk is a binder and filler.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smoking Duck

Quote from: Gizmo on January 01, 2009, 11:17:42 AM
No,
Nitrates (cure #2) are a preservative and act like a time release process.

The powder milk is a binder and filler.

Couldn't agree more.  If you substituted the powdered milk for the preservative and treated meat as such, you'd have a severe bellyache at a minimum.

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Piker

when I make large batches I often use premixed seasonings that already have the binder and nitrites in it. The nitrite is usually in a small envelope by itself. Makes it very easy to do a 25lb. batch

Steeleco

Quote from: Piker on January 01, 2009, 01:22:17 PM
when I make large batches I often use premixed seasonings that already have the binder and nitrites in it. The nitrite is usually in a small envelope by itself. Makes it very easy to do a 25lb. batch

My source sells 10lb kits, just finished my first kit of Garlic Venison sausage, even thought I messed up my timing and had to interrupt the process, it still tastes delish.  It won't last long, hence the wanting need to reduce the salts!  Thanks again.