Smoked Hooters Wings - Questions for the Smoking Gods!!!!

Started by seemore, December 31, 2008, 05:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smokin Soon

My, how we got of the subject of wings. I might suggest to admin that we have a new topic. *Smoked Wings*

Gizmo

Quote from: seemore on December 31, 2008, 05:07:19 PM
Mrs here.  We followed the recipe for the Hooters wings using the wings that we smoked the other night.
For some reason, the batter did not stay on the wings when we fried them.  This has not happened before, with the non-smoked wings.

Now for back on topic.

I am going to do some wings tomorrow for Charger's Pre game.  Plan to smoke then coat them in the Hooters Wing Sauce, and then fry them in the Big Easy.

I think I will leave the flour out of some of them and compare them to the flour version.  Other Wing recipes I have do not call for flour, just hot sauce (frank's), butter and some add a few other seasonings as well.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Smoking Duck

Quote from: Gizmo on January 02, 2009, 09:23:36 PM
Quote from: Smoking Duck on January 02, 2009, 05:14:58 AM
marriage - a partnership of two COMMITTED individuals

There I fixed it up for ya Smoking Duck.
;D

Thanks, Giz!  I knew I screwed up somewhere; always do  ;D

Good luck to the Chargers......I'll actually be rooting for them.

Also, be interested in the results of your wings.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Gizmo

Rainy/Misting out today but I should be able to continue this.

Well I did make a few varieties today.
Seasoned with salt, pepper, and a little granulated garlic.  Smoked for 1 hour 40 minutes. 
Coated some with wing sauce (hooters recipe and Iceman's Twisted Chicken), coated some with flour (as in the Hooter's recipe), left some plain.

Move them all to the Big Easy.

The ones coated in flour didn't really work out well.  No problem with the coating sticking, but the Big Easy is not an oil fryer and therfore the flour does not react the same way as it would in a real oil fryer.

Seemore, when I pulled the wings out of the smoker, they were a little moist on the outside from the fat/oil that rose up and probably the change in temperature (200 box temp to about 60 outside temp) so the dusting of seasoned flour had no problem sticking.  The hooters recipes I have call for the wings to be coated then refrigerated before frying.  I think a cold smoke would allow you to do this if you want fry them with a coating.  The other wings without the flour all turned out great.

seemore

Frank's sauce is excellent!  Great for hot wings - in fact it is used in a lot of restaurants around here.
Let me know how the Big Easy cooks those wings.  I am curious, since I don't own one, YET.  ;)

seemore

Smokin Soon

Giz, does your recipe call for egg?  did some wings today with hot sauce and egg, dipped in flour, smoke for 90 min an into the Big Easy. A few had some small spots of flour that did not kick off for some reason, but I just dabbed them with a damp paper towel to remove the excess. They were really good. Gone in 60 seconds! No pics.  ;D

Gizmo

Quote from: Smokin Soon on January 03, 2009, 06:50:16 PM
Giz, does your recipe call for egg?  did some wings today with hot sauce and egg, dipped in flour, smoke for 90 min an into the Big Easy. A few had some small spots of flour that did not kick off for some reason, but I just dabbed them with a damp paper towel to remove the excess. They were really good. Gone in 60 seconds! No pics.  ;D
Not the Hooter's Recipe.

seemore,
I have used Frank's before and love it as well.  I used the Crystal Louisiana just to follow the recipe with the exception of smoking and using the Big Easy.  This is only the 2nd use on the big easy and if I am to be totally honest, I was a great gift but I would't spend my own money on it.  My convection oven does just a well.

I did a comparison today along with the wings, I did 2 whole chickens.  Smoked then one went into the oven at 375 and the other went into the big easy as soon as the wings were done.

The low heat (set temp at 320 but box only got to 200) did make the skin a bit rubbery as it was still notable even after the oven and big easy, but both did make the skin edible, just not as good as non or cold smoked.