Smoked Hooters Wings - Questions for the Smoking Gods!!!!

Started by seemore, December 31, 2008, 05:07:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

seemore

Mrs here.  We followed the recipe for the Hooters wings using the wings that we smoked the other night.
For some reason, the batter did not stay on the wings when we fried them.  This has not happened before, with the non-smoked wings.
Also, I really like a hot and spicy wing, but this was INFERNO level for me.  They were even on the verge of being too hot for Scott!
Again, we followed the same recipe as always.  I used up the cayenne pepper in the bottom of a spice jar - that would not have mattered would it?
Then I made the mistake of trying to put out the fire in my mouth by dousing it with a glass of wine.  The heat only intensified.  So I had to drink more wine.  :)
Can anyone give me advice on why the breading might not have stuck?  Could it be due to the wings having been smoked? 
I liked these wings - they seemed more like the traditional Buffalo wings. 
Thanks!

Smokin Soon

Breading might not have stuck because of the time in the smoker. You have to experiment with this because there is no set formula. Try a lower cab temp to prevent the wings from getting to a temp that the skin
fires off. You want them to catch the smoke without doing much cooking. My best wings ever are now being done in the Big Easy. No batter needed. No oil required. Smoke & Go!   ;D

Savannahsmoker

Smokin Soon, could you show some pics and how you made the wings in TBE.  Here or the Big easy site will be fine. Thanks

pensrock

seemore,
  I cannot comment about the batter because when I make wings Im like them naked, no breading.
I do love hot stuff, I would not think using up the cayenne in the bottom of a jar woud be any spicier than from the top of the jar. I did not see your recipe so I do not know if maybe you used too much or there were other factors causing the extra heat.

If you burn your mouth with peppers, one of the worst things to do is drink watery liquids. The heat from a pepper comes from an oily substance called capistan, what happens when you mix oil and water? It just spreads it out and makes it worse. You need another fat to bind with the pepper to help asorb it. Try drinking a glass of milk or a spoonful of chip dip or sour cream, all seem to help. Unless you eat a Naga pepper then all bets are off.  :D ;D
pens

Smoking Duck

I think maybe Smoking Soon could be on to something.  Perhaps the oils being released from the chicken when smoking at hotter temps causes the flour not to bind with the chicken.  As poultry soaks up smoke rather quickly, perhaps a 40 minute cold smoke (I'd take the chicken right out of the refer and put them in the Bradley using a cold smoke method) and then take out before the chicken has had an opportunity to start 'cooking".  Then continue on with the rest of the Hooters thing.  Perhaps, the smoke adhesion on the chicken is not allowing the flour and sauce mixture to work.  I'd try a cold smoke session and if they still don't turn out, perhaps it has something on a molecular level that the smoke won't allow it to bind.

Otherwise, I'm not sure what else it could be.

Marc

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

seemore

Thanks guys for the suggestions.  We will do a cold smoke next time.
In fact, Mr. just reminded me that he SUGGESTED doing a cold smoke, and that I ignored him............ :(
As for the heat?  I am now thinking that I used the wrong measuring spoon when I dolloped out that cayenne, and we had twice as much cayenne for the amount we had....burn, baby, burn......
And I knew that drinking a liquid like wine would only increase the heat, but my mouth was on fire, the glass was there, and instinct overcame logic.............

Thanks again.  We are looking forward to trying these wings again in the smoker.  With or without breading, the smoke flavor is great!

pensrock

QuoteIn fact, Mr. just reminded me that he SUGGESTED doing a cold smoke, and that I ignored him............

No say it isn't so..... the Mrs. ignoring the hubby?
Can't be, never heard of such a thing.  ;) ;D ;D

And yes doubling up on the cayenne powder will light up your night!  :D

Smoking Duck

Life isn't like a box of chocolates; it's like a spoonful of cayenne pepper.  What you do today can burn your arse tomorrow  :o

La Quinta

Mrs. Seemore...you just go with your miss measurement...(hell who hasn't done that)! Maybe you could have just floured the wings after the smoke (to absorb any fat rendered) then battered and fried? Ya know...I can avoid cold smoke at every turn (because I have to!!!) 75 here today (and I'm still crabbing!!!)  :D  :D  :D

And...what is wrong with wives' ignoring their husband's advice? Seems rather normal....  ;D

FLBentRider

Quote from: La Quinta on January 01, 2009, 08:38:31 PM
And...what is wrong with wives' ignoring their husband's advice? Seems rather normal....  ;D

But don't dare ignore it the other direction..... NOT!

;D ;D
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

Smoking Duck

Hmmmm, I always thought that marriage was a partnership of two committed individuals looking out for the best interests of their partner.  I always believed that the two together were stronger than the one by him/her self.  And as such, all decisions would be based upon much thought and would be agreeable to all parties concerned.

Where did I go wrong? ??? ??? ;D

deb415611

Quote from: La Quinta on January 01, 2009, 08:38:31 PM

very normal :D

La Quinta

Smoking Duck

Gizmo

Quote from: Smoking Duck on January 02, 2009, 05:14:58 AM
marriage - a partnership of two COMMITTED individuals

There I fixed it up for ya Smoking Duck.
;D
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/