I GOT A LEG OF LAMB FOR $11 !!! Now.... how to cook?

Started by firerescueman, January 01, 2009, 07:16:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firerescueman

Hey all,

Went through my local Kroger store tonight and found a "manager's special" leg of lamb marked down from $40 to $11.  It was in date,  but expires in a couple of days.  I brought it home and put it in the freezer.

Suggestions on cooking?  Wife won't eat anything bloody....  must be medium to medium well at least.

what temp to cook,  what IT to pull at?  seasonings?

Thanks.

Jeff
God has a sense of humor....  Don't believe me?  go to WalMart and just LOOK at people!

La Quinta

Ya know what FRM...I have never smoked a leg...but West Coast Kansan brought some amazingly killer chops to the smoke out...maybe he could point you in the right direction. I consumed the leftovers at dinner the next night!!! They were amazing...

Maybe PM him?

pensrock

Sorry, I have never had lamb so I could not begin to guess what to do with it.  ???

Dex

I've been tempted a few times to pick one of these up at Kroger as well. Let me know how it turns out!

car54

Great Deal,

I have a leg of lamb in the freezer. Usually lamb is kept simple with just some olive oil and seasoning rubbed on it. Make sure that you do not over cook it. 130 degees would be rare. Use the same temperature chart as beef.

Brad

FLBentRider

I've been wanting to try one too, but $40 is alot to experiment with. For $11, I would:

Coat in olive oil, salt, pepper and smoke @ 200F with a mild wood, maybe Apple, to an IT of 135-140, FTC for a couple of hours.

We don't mind Rare around here, so I would do 127-130F.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

LilSmoker

I've done this recipe many times now, always with great results, it's taken from the Bradley u.k. recipes.

The only thing i do different to this recipe is the the cook time, i like my lamb a little more done, so i cook for longer.

Smoked Leg of Lamb
Ingredients
• 2.5 to 3 kg (5 to 6 lb) leg of lamb boned and tied
Paste:
• 1 small onion peeled and halved
• 1 head of garlic peeled
• 45 ml (3 tbsp) fresh lemon juice
• 10 ml (2 tsp) lemon zest
• 30 ml (2 tbsp) paprika
• 5 ml (1 tsp) rosemary
• 10 ml (2 tsp) coarse salt
• 10 ml (2 tsp) coarse ground pepper
• 90 ml (6 tbsp) olive oil
To Serve
• lemon wedges
• extra virgin olive oil
• minced fresh mint

Preparation
Prepare the paste by combining all the paste ingredients except the oil in a food processor and process. With the processor running, pour in the oil and continue processing until a paste forms. Spread the paste generously on the lamb. Place the lamb in a plastic bag/wrap and refrigerate overnight. Remove the lamb the next day and let stand for 45 minutes.

Smoking Method
Preheat your Bradley Smoker to between 105°C and 120°C (220°F and 250°F). Place the lamb in the Bradley Smoker and using Special Blend flavor bisquettes smoke/cook until the lamb is medium/rare, approximately 30 minutes per pound. Use a meat thermometer to check.

To Serve
Remove lamb when done and let stand 10 minutes. Slice and serve with a squeeze of lemon, a drizzle of olive oil and fresh mint.

Give it a try...........LilSmoker

<<< Click Me For Great Recipes

KyNola

LS is dead on it!!! Exactly how I would do it as well.  Rosemary , olive oil and garlic is lamb's best friend.

KyNola

Smoking Duck

I thought Mary was the lamb's best friend but I guess time and distance will strain any relationship  ;D

Have to agree with Lilsmoker........that's the best way I've ever done it.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

Caneyscud

Be sure to debone and I usually cook it unrolled - lots faster and more surface to get that smoke on it.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

DrtiBird

Quote from: LilSmoker on January 02, 2009, 07:10:52 AM
I've done this recipe many times now, always with great results, it's taken from the Bradley u.k. recipes.

The only thing i do different to this recipe is the the cook time, i like my lamb a little more done, so i cook for longer.

Smoked Leg of Lamb
Ingredients
• 2.5 to 3 kg (5 to 6 lb) leg of lamb boned and tied
Paste:
• 1 small onion peeled and halved
• 1 head of garlic peeled
• 45 ml (3 tbsp) fresh lemon juice
• 10 ml (2 tsp) lemon zest
• 30 ml (2 tbsp) paprika
• 5 ml (1 tsp) rosemary
• 10 ml (2 tsp) coarse salt
• 10 ml (2 tsp) coarse ground pepper

• 90 ml (6 tbsp) olive oil
To Serve
• lemon wedges
• extra virgin olive oil
• minced fresh mint

Preparation
Prepare the paste by combining all the paste ingredients except the oil in a food processor and process. With the processor running, pour in the oil and continue processing until a paste forms. Spread the paste generously on the lamb. Place the lamb in a plastic bag/wrap and refrigerate overnight. Remove the lamb the next day and let stand for 45 minutes.

Smoking Method
Preheat your Bradley Smoker to between 105°C and 120°C (220°F and 250°F). Place the lamb in the Bradley Smoker and using Special Blend flavor bisquettes smoke/cook until the lamb is medium/rare, approximately 30 minutes per pound. Use a meat thermometer to check.

To Serve
Remove lamb when done and let stand 10 minutes. Slice and serve with a squeeze of lemon, a drizzle of olive oil and fresh mint.

Give it a try...........LilSmoker

This may be a really dumb question, but why do you use coarse salt and pepper if you are going to put it a food processor?  Won't that make both fine?  I've seen that in other recipes and just wondered.  ???
Ron/DrtiBird
Gainesville, GA

Smoking Duck

I don't find that my food processor cuts that fine to mess up the coarse salt and pepper.  I've always assumed (maybe erroneously) that the use of the coarse salt and pepper was for better adhesion with food and other spices.

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

firerescueman

Hey all,   Thanks for the replies!

Lilsmoker......  I am gonna try your recipe.   I will probably fix it next weekend.  I'll let y'all know how it turns out.

Thanks again!

Jeff
God has a sense of humor....  Don't believe me?  go to WalMart and just LOOK at people!

Caneyscud

It'll be good, most of the world can't be wrong!  There is probably more lamb cooked over a fire or smoked than any other meat in the world.  It ranks a distant 4th in production, but it is consumed in a lot of countries where the only way to cook it is over an open fire.  Use lots of garlic!

Caneyscud

This is the next weekend = We're waiting!

Shakespeare