Turduchen fillets

Started by KyNola, January 01, 2009, 07:19:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyNola

Want your opinions.  I'm thinking of pounding duck breast fillets, chicken breast fillets and a boneless turkey breast thin.  Lay the turkey down first, spread with jambalaya, then the chicken breast fillet, more jambalaya, then the duck fillets, more jambalaya and then roll up and tie.  Into the smoker after that.  Was thinking about wrapping in bacon before tying.  What do you guys think?  First, is the concept legitimate and second, wrap in bacon or no?

Thinking out loud here.  Would like your input before I undertake the project.

KyNola 

westexasmoker

I like the whole sound of this....def bacon wrapped!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

Smoking Duck

That's a lot of meat to roll up, KY.  I'd be concerned about the inner meat getting done to completion before the top meat dries out.  Perhaps the bacon will help keep that from happening.  What do you figure the diameter of the rolls would be?  I suppose if pounded down real good, they would work.  It may be more difficult with the jambalaya in between....perhaps more of a paste-type filling?

I'd sure like to know if you proceed with it.  That's a pretty fowl lineup you'll have going  ;D

SD

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra

KyNola

SD,
I'll definitely keep you posted (with pics) when I undertake the project.  Most likely won't be this weekend as Jan wants to make her world famous red beans and rice this weekend.  It is absolutely the best ever so I am always ready for her to make it.

I considered your point about the inner meat not getting done before drying out the outer meat but I figure if you can stuff a deboned hen in a deboned duck in a deboned turkey with stuffing in between each bird and bake it, then this theory might just work as well.

The bacon wrap is beginning to sound like a good idea WTS!  Thanks.

KyNola

La Quinta

Ky...I'd just make sure you have a good amount of fat...inside as well as outside...butter/oil on the inside...if your jambalya has sausage...kool...(that'll do it)...bacon outside. As we all know the smoke can dry out meat just becuase of the environment...looking forward to the pics...

FLBentRider

Sounds like a Turducken roll.

Sounds like a lot of work.

I can't wait to see the pics.
Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

deb415611

Ky,

Sounds awesome.  keep us posted on the results.

Deb

KyNola

FLBR, turducken roll....exactly!  That was my thought when I first started thinking about doing it.  Will give it a shot soon.

KyNola

HCT

Great idea. I'd go with the bacon wrap also.
"The universe is a big place
probably the biggest"