• Welcome to BRADLEY SMOKER | "Taste the Great Outdoors".

Connecting the Auber PID to OBS

Started by mjack1957, January 02, 2009, 12:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjack1957

Are there any posts / diagrams showing how the PID is connected to the OBS?  I know it might seem like a stupid newbie question, but guess what; I'm a newbie.

deb415611

There are no stupid questions mjack

I'm not sure how this is going to look - hopefully you can see it well enough.  It's the page out of the Auber plugnplay manual

Deb

mjack1957

Thank you Deb.  Do you know if Auber has a link on their site to download the manual?  I looked but didn't see it.

Mr Walleye

Mjack

Last time I talked to Auber he was in the process of adding them to his site. I know he did get most of the manuals setup on the site but at that time he indicated the Plug & Play manuals weren't done yet. If you don't see it there just send him an email. He is really good a responding quickly.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

mjack1957

The Auber PID came and I connected it to the OBS.  My question is this. Once I set the desired cooking time and temp, will the timer start once the smoke chamber reaches the set cooking temp or does the timer start counting immediately.  Also, does the PID disengage the temp slider at the bottom of the smoke chamber?

In other words, if I want to smoke at 220 for 3.5 hours, will the PID begin counting the 3.5 hours once the internal temperature of the smoking chamber climbs to 220 or will it be counting the time while the chamber climbs to that temp.  I hope this is not a dumb question.  I read their manual but really couldn't figure this part out.

Mr Walleye

MJack

I can only answer one of your questions. You want to always keep the temp slider all the way to the right (full power). This allows the PID full control to do it's thing.

I can't help you on the timer question, I'm sure someone will be along that can though.

Mike

Click On The Smoker For Our Time Tested And Proven Recipes

pensrock

QuoteIn other words, if I want to smoke at 220 for 3.5 hours, will the PID begin counting the 3.5 hours once the internal temperature of the smoking chamber climbs to 220 or will it be counting the time while the chamber climbs to that temp.  I hope this is not a dumb question.  I read their manual but really couldn't figure this part out.

That is how mine works, but I built it myself and used a Honeywell temperature controller. I' do not know how the timer in the Auber works. Sorry.

mjack1957

I spoke with Auber they informed me about what I  should do.  Once the temp and timer are set, the controller starts counting down immediately. Once your desired temp is achieved, you must turn the controller off and on.  This resets the timer without altering the pre-set temp.  Have mahi mahi going now at 180 for an hour and a half.  Yummmm.  Once the timer counts down, the unit shuts off the smoker and begins to sign an alarm letting you know your items are cooked.  The controller controls the smoker but not the smoke generator.  That has to be manually shut off after smoking.

drano

mjack1957
After a few smokes, you will know how long warmup takes, and you can program it for the correct warmup time.  Or, always have T1 be long enough to pre-heat the smoker, then put the meat in at the end of T1, and have T2 and beyond cook the food. 
Of course, an off/on cycle gets you what you want too. 
get smokin
drano

manxman

Plan on ordering an Auber programmable PID in the next couple of days, so this thread is very helpful.

Anyone got any practical experience or thoughts on preference between the option of a wall mounted sensor or the one that goes in through the vent in the top of the BS?
Manxman

mjack1957

Quote from: manxman on January 06, 2009, 03:19:52 PM
Plan on ordering an Auber programmable PID in the next couple of days, so this thread is very helpful.

Anyone got any practical experience or thoughts on preference between the option of a wall mounted sensor or the one that goes in through the vent in the top of the BS?
[/quote

I considered that option when I purchased my PID but decided against it.  I'm not keen on making modifications so I went with just dropping the sensor through the top vent.  It works like a charm.  I smoked two trays of mahi mahi today at 180 for an hour and a half. The controller worked marvelously holding the temp.  Another reason I didn't want to place the sensor in the smoking chamber is that you would have two probes protruding into the cooking space.

drano

manxman
I got the programable PID last month, with the wall mount temp probe.  It works just fine.
Think more about where you will put it than I did before you drill the hole.  Mine ended up 1/2 way between racks 2 and 3, which means big stuff on the 3rd rack down will hit it.  I should have kept it higher.
Big picture, I think you want it maybe 1-1.5" below a rack, giving clearance for food on the next rack down, and still have air circulation around it.
When my smoker is empty, the PID and Maveric show the same temp everywhere (I added a fan last month too).  With sausage/beef sticks in, I can get 10 deg differences between the 2 probes until the meat starts to warm up.  Then they read w/in a degree.  Not sure why that is.  But after 2 summer sausage and 2 beef stick smokes that came out great, I don't care now what the 2 probes say.  The PID is doing its job, and the smokes came out great.   So now I'm smokin, and not worrie'n. 
get smokin
drano