Smoking/cooking finished EARLY!

Started by AggieBQ72, January 03, 2009, 07:01:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AggieBQ72

I smoked/cooked 25# of brisket last night (DBS with hickory smoke) and my thought was to finish it in the oven and have it for a family get to-gether this evening.  When I checked the internal temp it was 170F so I FTC and have it waiting.  However, from what I have read this will only get me about 4 hours of holding time....or until noon.  We don't plan on eating until 5pm tonight.  In the double foil wrap I basted the meat liberally with a mix of apple juice and BBQ sauce.  I assume I need to put these foil packets back in the oven about 2 hours prior to eating time and have the convection oven at about  200F.  Anyone have any better suggestion?

???

Caneyscud

Overnight to 170 doesn't sound like enough time to get it tender.     Usually about 1 1/2 hours per pound at around oven/smoker temp of 220 or so to get them tender.  Assuming 2 - 12.5# briskets then that would be 18 hours of cooking.  Do they seem tender now?  If yes ok to just heat them up.  If not, might have to go in oven longer or at a higher temp to break down that collagen.
"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Gizmo

IF it is not too late, I would go with Caney's suggestion that 170 may be a little low on IT and I would push the IT to 185 deg.  THat would get you a few extra hours and the FTC will take you to dinner time.  You can keep the Brisket in a foil pan with a little broth, apple juick or Jack Daniels in the bottom and lid at 150 deg in the oven for a long time if necessary.  The let cool, refrigerate, and reheat will also work but I use a higher temperarture for the reheat. 
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

westexasmoker

I concur with Caney and Giz....spot on!

C
Its amazing what one can accomplish when one doesn't know what one can't do!

FLBentRider

Click on the Ribs for Our Time tested and Proven Recipes!

Original Bradley Smoker with Dual probe PID
2 x Bradley Propane Smokers
MAK 2 Star General
BBQ Evangelist!

AggieBQ72

I put my foil wrapped packages back in the oven for 3 additional hours at 225F and the 25# brisket was snorfed up by the family tonight.  It was the hit of the evening!  Many thanks for the replies!!!!!!

Gizmo

Whooo HOOOOOOO,

Great job.  Glad it came out right for you.

Sorry about the over zealous comment above, The Chargers just won their playoff game.
Click here for our time proven and tested recipes - http://www.susanminor.org/

Caneyscud

Amazing how fast the Brisket can disappear - people know good eats.

Ye Ode to the Brisket

How oft for want of Brisket doth torture my spirit
Slave of its delicious embrace nothing to do but tend
Like a melancholy malcontent, glistening eyes focused
Hours and times of my desire the plateau doth pass
Nothing but time and precious mesquite can I but offer
Low and slow doth my sweet love's beauty revealed
Sublime, rouse myself; and the weak wanton hunger
Shall from my bowels unloose its masculine restraint
Not at war, stomach at peace, content in fullness.
Oh mighty Brisket, penchant of memory, smoky perfection.

"A man that won't sleep with his meat don't care about his barbecue" Caneyscud

"If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they're made out of meat?"

Smoking Duck

Now I know why Caney (Shakespeare) switched to the Bradley.  He never would have time to wax poetic with a stickburner  ;D  I foresee a website with the prose of smoking in his future  ;) ;D

Steeler....she's a keeper!

Who doesn't love lab puppies?

Click here for my blog: La Cosa Smokestra